• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG SIZZOR LIFT ISSUES (hydraulic)

BenekeMaint

Hi everyone. this is my first post, and admittedly I haven't gone through the proper forum etiquette for a new user. But only because im in a pinch and am trying to get the info I need fast. Ill do the intro, profile and what not at another time.

I'm one of two Maintenance Techs at a relatively small aluminum rod/wire processing plant. I am a good example of the "jack of all trades master of none." I'm well versed but not an expert in all of the industrial fields. We've been having ongoing issues with our sizzor lift. We've called in several service techs but they seem to have little to no understanding of their own product. They've each told us the main board is bad, but only after they realize that they don't know **** about our problem and decide to grasp at straws. Its not the board, we've replaced it with a new one and nothing changed. The problem has gotten progressively worse, and if we can't fix it by mid-next-week we'll be forced to get a rental for our upcoming project.

Heres the current status: All functions are operational, except everything is a lot slower than it should be. When driving in fwd or rev, the lift comes almost to a complete stop when you give it a steering command. Almost as if its starving for power. We found one battery to have a bad cell but nothing changed when we replaced it. We've also recently replaced the hydraulic motor and pump, because while troubleshooting we found that the splined shaft and coupling were trashed. We replaced the whole kit and caboodle just trying to eliminate our troubles. But so far nothing has changed, and its getting worse.

The first sign of trouble was not holding a charge, and slowing down drastically when turning. the new battery helped the former but not the latter.

Ive also replaced the joystick pot, just to humor the service tech and his incompetence (the old pot was fine).

I have to go for no, to check on some other problems. Ill check back later and answer any questions and add any more info I can think of. thank you in advance for your help, we can really use it.

Josh Pretzer
Maintenance Tech
Louisville KY
jpretz63@yahoo.com

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Serial number might be needed as well as many of their machines have s/n breaks.

Delmer

I have close to zero experience with scissor lifts, but this sounds pretty basic. It affects all movements all the time, right?

Theoretically it's not the motor, pump, board or joystick pot. How about the rest of the hydraulic circuit? Have you inspected the main hoses and the solenoids? Can you get access to see that the solenoids are opening and returning fully? Does the motor/pump sound like it's slowing down? or cavitating? any jerkiness in the functions?

How many hours on this, should the trashed coupler be suspicious?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Whenever I have a battery problem (such as the one you stated has a dead cell) I typically replace all the batteries. Unless it's just a mfg defect fault, which is rare, but rather battery age has caused a dead cell, even if the other batteries seem ok, it won't be long until they die off one at a time. I don't like recurring problems, I eliminate them and replace all batteries at once.

Second, make sure the charger is putting a full charge on the machine. And if the machine has been sitting for some time with charger plugged in, that doesn't mean it has a full charge. Those machines/chargers are designed for daily use. When you plug the charger in at night it will charge the batteries and then the charger cuts off. If it remains plugged in the charger doesn't "re-set" itself, nor does it maintain the charge, you have to unplug and plug the charger back in. So if the machine sits for some time, the batteries will discharge even when plugged in.

The E series is controlled by the JLG smart system. If there's any faults with the electrical control system it will flash a code on the LED lamp of the smart system motor controller. Another thing to look at is the electric pump motor. I once worked on an E series that was having operation problems, didn't show any fault codes, but the motor was in early stage of brush/armature failure. Put a new motor on it, machine was now happy.