• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG Boom lift 40' ???? INFO NEEDED and proper ID

Hurtin_Albertan

My uncle bought a used boom lift this weekend and is shipping it down to me to go over and fix the wiring and mechanical issues. It appears to have an original coat of industrial yellow paint, followed with two different blues. It was used for sandblasting before he picked it up and the only legible thing on the name plate is "40 feet" It has a 4 cylinder gas engine (last running when abandoned) The most interesting thing is it has 4 wheels on it right now but also has 2 spindles on either side between the wheels, Im assuming for tracks.

Anyways I'm looking for any and all information at all for this unit. (brand, model, engine, Wiring and hydraulic schematics) As i will be going over it in our shop this winter.

I will try to get him to send a picture over on his phone for further id.

Thanks guys

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Well, that's a JLG product alright. Do I see 4 wheel drive under that grass?
shape of the chassis says 40F 4wd. Hood is really different from what I'm used to
seeing though. Nice find.

As for the tracks, I've seen a 60F with tracks, so anything is possible.

Hurtin_Albertan

Also the engine is an inline 4 cylinder gas with two bolts holding the valve cover down. Has a circle in the casting with a FW inside.

Upper Controll panel looks to be non oem, no legible nameplates.

Hope this helps

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
I see Racine controllers. Having a 4 cyl. inline is very odd for a 40F. I've only seen 40F's and 50F's with Wisconsin air cooled V4
I'd love to see a picture of it with the engine exposed :eek:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I've never seen one with an inline 4 either OFF, and notice the air cleaner under the rear of the boom instead of being located inside engine compartment at right rear as they typically are.

Hurtin_Albertan

Its currently up by athabasca right now but when it shows up down here I will be glad to post a few more pictures with it sitting on some gravel. Not shure when yet as i'm not organising the shipping. I will be on the hunt for any manuals and schematics I can obtain for the unit. If this thing turns out to be this rare i'm going to have to tell him I want first dibs if he ever sells it.

Hurtin_Albertan

I have been looking all over the net trying to find info and have found a look alike picture but with tracks. This yellow is what is under the blue paint. The angled box under the boom appears to be a hydraulic cooler with fan

91201317675388207.jpg

barklee

I could have sworn ive seen one just like your blue machine several years ago. I thought the third axle has a non-driving wheel on there that pressed against the actual drive tires. I am guessing they did that for an extra set of drives? Or more spread ground pressure? Who knows.
Also, didnt they put Nissan or Continental gas engines on these back in the late 70's? Seems like they did......

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
That yellow one looks more like a 60F except for were the cable tray is mounted on the boom. 60F's were all the side. Same as the hydraulic cooler rad mounted on the front under that angled box. later model 60F had that. Gas engines in the 60F were a Hercules (labeled White G1600) inline 4 banger.
Very confusing. Only the factory knows for sure......unless someone was re-making these machines.

dbris

It looks pretty much like my 40F except the rear counterweight is different. Mine sticks out about 10" beyond the engine cowl and has a cutout on the right side for the battery.

Hurtin_Albertan

So.... It showed up yesterday and i took a few lousy pics with my phone. Hope these will intregue you.

Attachments

• 2012-09-24 08.28.04-640.jpg
    2012-09-24 08.28.04-640.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 350
  • 2012-09-24 08.28.14-640.jpg
    2012-09-24 08.28.14-640.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 333
  • 2012-09-24 08.59.03-640.jpg
    2012-09-24 08.59.03-640.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 356
  • 2012-09-24 08.59.10-640.jpg
    2012-09-24 08.59.10-640.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 346
  • 2012-09-24 08.59.52-640.jpg
    2012-09-24 08.59.52-640.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 339

Hurtin_Albertan

Two more.

Still looking for maunuals or parts lists

Attachments

• 2012-09-24 08.59.31-640.jpg
    2012-09-24 08.59.31-640.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 407
  • 2012-09-24 09.01.01-640.jpg
    2012-09-24 09.01.01-640.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 356

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
wow:eek:

The engine is the standard 60F White/Hercules engine I mentioned in an earlier post. I have engine manuals for it and a few spare parts.
Controllers are Racine. Other than that it looks like some kinda crazy, drug induced, mating between 40F and 60F. :confused:

Steering is normally a toggle switch in the left lower corner of the basket. You have a hole there with nothing - but you have 3 very interesting looking push bottons instead. Makes me wonder how it steers. :confused:

barklee

missed one

Do you suppose that "FC" stands for Crawler? This whole thing is a new one on me! Very interesting...... Hope you are good with wiring. I think your best bet is to call JLG directly. They are very helpful with identifying machines and parts. I am a little frightened that they may not have a record of this machine if its 70's vintage, but i think its the best place to start. If that doesnt work, try calling Best Line Equipment in State College PA. They may have something....... maybe. Good Luck!!!!

Hurtin_Albertan

Not shure on the crawler thing, however it dosent look like there were ever idlers installed since last paint job atleast. Not scared on the wiring at all, Journeyman Electrician by trade, mechanic / bodywork / cabinet maker by hobby. Would just like to find schematics for controlls to save chasing all the wiring out. (atleast for factory wiring) Everything is easier when you have parer in front of you. Im more scared of the hydraulics.

If you think this is bad I have a digger derrick truck that most of the controls are fly by wire.

Is the second line down on the nameplate a serial number? If so, would it tell year and all that. Im assuming the first line is the model, not shure on the third, and fourth being reach of 40 ft.

Getting concrete in my shop on saturday and will be a while before everything gets put back in and cabinets built so just arming myself with as much info as i can on this unit.

OFF - are those manuals thick and bound or are they photocopyable, Hasnt run in years so im not getting my hopes up on her firing right away. Also are parts hard to find for white engines.(another project for next year is a IR air compressor with one in it ( 100cfm 90 psi) for sandblasting)

Last edited:

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
the third line of serial number plate is the basket size it's rated for. In this case 36" x 96" pretty big basket. yes, the second line is your serial number.
The build date is march 10/1977. That's pretty old for a JLG.
I found the parts manual for the White engine (G1600) still looking for the service manual. Yes, it can be copied.