• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Jlg 450 A

Titan

I have a 450a started having trouble with basket lift control. Would not let basket come completely to ground. After checking relays contacts ect. No help. Now boom will not lift from basket at all. All other basket functions work as advertised. Any help would be appreciated.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to HEF Titan. :drinkup

Ok, this is really going to be tough to explain, I hope it makes sense. The 450A has a 4 direction joystick that controls swing and boom lift. Lever left and right is swing, lever fore and aft is boom lift. Most often the problem is with either the controller or the circuit card that the controller operates. If I'm not mistaken the wiring harness that comes from the controller and goes to the circuit cards have a plug connector mid way between for both swing and boom lift. If so, I'd disconnect those plug connections, boom lift and swing, and switch them. You also need to pull the plug connection to the micro switches on the controller and switch them. Now the controller is reversed, left and right will operate boom up/dwn, and fore-aft will operate swing.

At this point, if boom up/dwn now operates, but swing doesn't, problem is isolated to joystick controller. If boom up/dwn does not operate, but swing does, problem may be the circuit card that controls boom up/dwn functions. Try that and see what happens. :)

Titan

Ok. I have looked and only micro switches have quick disconnect. There are 2. I switched them and boom will not move up & down or side to side. I set them back and get side to side but no up or down. There are 2 circuit boards mounted under joy stick that the micro switch wiring are attached. All other wire from boards seem to go to other functions of lift. Should I try and reverse these plugs as well?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ok, I'll try to make this simple. Forget that the controller works two functions, boom lift and swing, lets focus on boom lift. Flip your lid open, engine not running, work the boom up/dwn lever so you can identify which shaft is operating a micro switch on one side and the potentiometer on the opposite side, those are the two components you want to focus on.

The micro switch sends a voltage signal to the circuit card mounted in the platform control box, this signal "powers up" the circuit card so it knows you're working either boom up or boom down. Now that the circuit card knows you're operating boom it needs to know which direction you want to go, up or down, and how fast (proportional speed), that's the information that the potentiometer sends to the circuit card. The swing circuit works the same way.

The test objective is to get a preliminary diagnosis of whether the problem is with the controller components, or with the circuit card. Assuming your swing operates proper, which I assume it does as you only have a problem with boom operation, we want to connect the boom circuit card to the left/right operation of controller and connect the swing circuit card to the fore/aft motion of the controller.

To do this you have to switch connections to the micro switches, connector should be at terminals of micro switch, then switch connections to the potentiometers, connector should be in the wiring harness between potentiometer and circuit card.

Titan

Thanks for your reply. I will give it a go in the am. I will also check the potentiometers. Trying to be safe as not to fry a board. I wish I could send you a video of me sending my guys up from main control. The movements are not so subtle a d the white knuckles are hilarious.

Titan

Ok. I have switched micro switch wires and potentiometers harness as recommended. Now boom works up and down and swing works also. Besides the joy stick working in revers the boom moves slower than normal. I have a green turtle indicator light on that I can't change. Once again thanks for your help and await your reply.

Titan

New update. Returned all wire plugs to arriginal positions and boom works but slow. Green turtle light still on? Hope this helps. It is Friday after all !

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hmm, very curious changes Titan. I'm not real familiar with the 450A (and don't have access to one), what is this green turtle light you describe?

Titan

It comes on when boom is extended and all basket functions slow down considerably. Do you know how many limit switches are on the boom? I have only found two.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Do you have the function speed knob is Creep Mode? If you turn the function speed knob all the way CCW until it clicks, creep mode is activated for all functions.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Wait, just to clarify, are you saying the speed control knob has no effect on boom operations to make them speed up or slow down?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Flip the upper control lid open and test connections at speed control. With engine running, wire Yel/Red 2-21 should have power when foot switch depressed. Remember, when you depress foot switch it activates 7 second timer, unless you work some function, you have that amount of time to test wires before you time out. If you have power on Yel/Red 2-21 at speed control, check Org/Red 49-13 at speed control. If you have power on that wire, problem is somewhere else. If you don't have power on that wire, fit some type of jumper to put power on that wire and see it snail light (creep) goes off and functions work at normal speed.