• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 40HA won't idle up after depressing the foot switch.

mark3885

My JLG 40 H started doing the same thing, I can hit the platform control panel and it works . I have a loose wire or connection or possibly a break in the wire as it winds its way up to the platform. I'd like to run a wire from the ground control box to the platform control panel. Just need to know which wire I'm dealing with . This would eliminate the wiring up the boom if that's the problem spot. :beatsme

mark3885

I'm not sure how your changing engine speed with foot switch, trying to figure that out myself. My best guess is engine governor control is somehow connected to the dump valve circuit, the red wire connected to steer switch.
I don't mean to be milking this but I need to post 3 times before I can start my own thread . Anyways , its not that the footswitch is changing engine speed, I think KSP means that when you step on the footswitch , nothing happens to the engine speed other than the normal idle at say 1000 rpms. When the footswitch is depressed , the motor will rev up to say 1500 rpms. Our problem is that when the footswitch is depressed we don't get the rev up to be able to use the controls over the low idle speed. But when I hit the platform control box ,I can get mine to work like normal.:pointhead

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Thanks , hoping to get to the bottom of this lift problem.

There ya go mark3885, you've got your third post in, you'll become a Junior Member after a short time and be able to start your own thread. ;)

ksp

"But when I hit the platform control box ,I can get mine to work like normal."

Mine has done the same thing. I think it is the toggle switch that changes operation from platform to ground control. I have not had time to replace it b/c it has been working ok lately. It does act up but if I work the switch a few times it will come out of it.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
We have a 1995 40HA here at work with the Ford VSG411 engine. When you're in the basket and you step on the foot switch, the governor does some funky stuff and it sounds like the engine is revving up but it's gained very little once everything settles down again. Must be the load of the dump valves it's compensating for. I don't get any actual high throttle until the drive controller is almost full stroke in drive. Then the engine speeds up. There is no high engine in any other function. Just the action of the governor trying to maintain the low setting. :beatsme

ksp

Interesting, my 40ha is a 1992 model or so. I'm guessing my governor was set to speed up when depressing the foot switch by someone. I actually like the way it works. Low idle when foot off switch but speeds up when using hydraulics. Saves gas and noise! If I really want speed I can flip the high engine switch. I'm not changing it.

Snorkel issues

Is there a chance any people involved in this post still visit this website. I'm having same issues with a snorkel but to add to the problem our lift functions with out using the peda . Which begs down and kills motor when using and boom controls.