• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 40HA not moving

bradsmith182

Thanks in advance for any help!

I am borrowing a 1996 JLG 40HA off a neighbor and building a cabin. Worked great for a while, but now having issues. It is a Duetz engine.

Everything works as it should, except it won't move forward or backward. Up, down, swing, boom all works just fine, it just won't go forward or back. I hooked up a truck and a chain to try to pull it, but the brake is engaged, so that didn't work.

I called a friend who knows that machine pretty well and he said if the hydronic fluid is low this would happen. I topped it off, and it didn't seem to help.
Before having issues the machine would move (fwd) as soon as engaging the foot petal. I wouldn't touch the joystick and the machine just started moving on it's own. I let go of the foot petal and it stops of course. Sometimes, for some reason it will work just fine, but 90% of the time it won't move.

I tore everything apart bound and determined to find out what is going on. I read here that terminal 16 and 21 control fwd and rev. Up at the platform I am getting 6v at those terminals. I move the joystick and the volts adjust accordingly. So I moved down to the ground control box. Volts down there at terminal 16 and 21 are very low around .08 however adjusting the joystick will make it fluctuate. So I thought maybe there's an issue in wiring. I wired the joystick directly to the ground control box, still same result, .08v. So I moved on to adjusting the little brass screws on the joystick card. Doing this did not seem to help much at all. The wheels did not move no matter how much I adjusted the screws.

However while using any other function (boom,lift,swing ect.) I can hear a click in the ground control box while the ignition is on and the foot petal is down. The fwd and rev does not make a click, When adjusting those little screws it did click randomly. Making me think it might be working, but no amount of adjusting will get the ground control box to click anymore.

At this point I'm assuming the joystick controller (JLG Part number 1600141) is bad. I live in Ohio and have heard good things about Hindley Electronics in Bowling Green. I called them up and they have a replacement controller in stock. Is it worth driving up there and trying that at this point? Or should I try something else?

I've spent a lot of time with this machine over the last couple weeks, so please let me know if there is something else I should try!

Thank you!

bradsmith182

*Update*
I managed to get it working again by replacing the Joystick Controller. Part number 1600141.
Thought I would post here in case anyone else has this same issue!