1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Jlg 40f boom leaking down

Discussion in 'Other Construction/Demolition Equipment' started by ramnit, Jun 5, 2022.

1. ramnit

ramnit Member

So my 40f has been sitting for about 9 months ,outside covered, a friend was using it to replace siding on his house . Ran it off and on for a few days ,now the main boom is leaking down ,rather quickly you can see it drop in a matter of a minute or so.
    Not sure if it is the check valve on the main ram or the ram it's self. No visible leaks on either ram main or the little one on the back of the boom.
    Not sure what to do

2. OFF

OFF Senior Member

HD Mechanic
    Normally on those it was the check valve that caused problems. Before you panic, check and make sure that all the manual decent valves are tightly closed.

3. ramnit

ramnit Member

Thanks for the response
    All valves are closed ,they have never been opened.
    I thought it might be the valve ,iam thinking of replacing or if not to difficult repair the valve, just never done it
    Thanks again

4. OFF

OFF Senior Member

HD Mechanic
    I've learned to start with the simplest things first. Next step would be to obtain a lift cylinder holding valve. JLG #4640265 Counter Balance Valve.
    Should be available still

5. ramnit

ramnit Member

OFF
    Have any good ideas wheee to get a service or parts manual online
    Any ideas would be great
    Also any ideas on rebuilding the locking brakes and hub drives
    Thanks

6. OFF

OFF Senior Member

HD Mechanic
    Yes, I have them. PM me with an email address and I will send them to you in PDF.

The brakes were always a pain.......

Gary Layton likes this.