• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 400s timing belt replacement

TommyJLG

When replacing the timing belt on 400S with either 1011 or 2011 it appears the oil cooler must be removed, correct? Other questions:

* If it is only a replacement, are timing pins necessary?
* Can anyone provide steps and/or video? Foley Engine has a video but they state it is incorrect.
* What are the repercussions and how to avoid?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
You need to be able to access the front of the engine, so pulling the oil cooler would be your best bet.

Timing pins are cheap on Ebay, keeps the cam and crank at #1 TDC and will ensure everything goes together properly and locks out any human error. A belt tension gauge is usually the pricier tool, and can't be skipped. You'll also need E10 & E12 Internal Torx Sockets.

$34 Timing Pins on Ebay
$7.29 Wiha PLS30 Security Pentalobe Bit (for the timing cover)
$130-140+ OTC 6673 Universal Belt Tension Gauge (I picked up a used MAC branded one for $67)

Shoot me your email address and I can send you the engine manuals that include the full procedure. If you have the tooling and follow the instructions it becomes a really straightforward job.

tractormech

Be sure your belt tension is correct-if you get it too tight it will burn the bushing in the oil pump out. Good luck.