• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Jlg 40 h help please

Rlh constructio

I have bought a older Jlg with the air cooled Diesel engine. First all the ground controls work fine. The prob is when you are in the basket and you press the foot pedal after about 20 sec the machine dies and it kicks the 30 amp breaker on the ground . When I bought it the owner stated it will do that a couple times in the morning and after that it works fine
It does do that
I replaced the wire between the box and the foot pedal but that didn’t help. I know the foot safety pedal is getting power when it’s depressed the machine won’t crank when you let off it will start Sometimes it will do it once. Sometime 10 times. Sometimes you can get it to move at all. When the foot pedal is depressed I have notice the volt meter on the motor drops to 10 or 11. Any help
Would be greatly appreciated

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
When you step on the foot pedal, you are powering up pretty much the entire basket control panel. The problem causing the breaker to pop could be anywhere in the basket - or even inside the foot pedal.

First thing I always look for is a function or control that doesn't work. That's normally where you will find your issue.

If everything seems to be working, carefully inspect for bare spots on the wiring inside the basket and down the boom.
Also feel for hot spots or hot areas. The kind of current draw you describe creates a lot of heat.