• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pbocco

My 450 crawler loader just had a new clutch pack installed by a heavy equipment repair shop. The day after he returned it to me I ran it and found out it is really difficult to steer (when it decides to steer at all !!).
Should an old (70ish) machine be this difficult to steer ??
The repair shop won't stand by their repair so I'm on my own and a lot (they charged me a lot!) poorer.
I need some advice and words of wisdom.
Thanks

Vetech63

It would be nice to know exactly was work was done. A machine serial number will be needed for our resident JD expert. (His name is MG****, be sure and call him SIR!) :D

pbocco

T5E3M-051875T...another no. on it is..0036330 (from what I can make out)
The repair shop had it apart (track off ETC0 on the right side and installed a new clutch pack. They also cleaned up all the shafts etc)
The left side was rebuilt before I bought it and according to the repair shop gut ...it was clean and freed up.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Should an old (70ish) machine be this difficult to steer ??

No.

Straight 450 with no letter I assume? Does the unit have power steering? If so is the reservoir (mounted above the engine) full of oil?

The repair shop had it apart (track off ETC0 on the right side and installed a new clutch pack. They also cleaned up all the shafts etc)

Did they properly adjust the clutches as well as the brakes? There is a special tool for setting the steering clutch pressure plate finger height on assembly. That can affect whether or not the clutch releases completely or not. When everything after that is assembled the linkage adjustment procedure is very important because that adjustment determines if the clutch releases before the brake applies. If the brake applies before the clutch releases then the steering can be very difficult.

If I had to guess they didn't perform the finger height adjustment and/or the linkage adjustment properly.

pbocco

does this mean...track off...disassembly...big time repair???
I need a mobile mechanic in my area to look at my 450...anybody out there???

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
does this mean...track off...disassembly...big time repair???

I would just start with the linkage adjustment to see if that resolves your issue before I would tear back into it. If it doesn't fix it then yes, track off repair.

You didn't answer the power steering question. Yes/No? If you look under your seat there will be two cylinders attached to the steering levers. It was an option so you might not have it. Either way the steering should not be hard to operate.

Welder Dave

Why won't the repair shop stand by their work? I would be on their case. If they weren't qualified to do the repair and adjustments properly they shouldn't have taken on the job. Did they not test it before you got it back?