• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD310SJ Hydraulic Pump Outlet

Ricardo Cotte

Hello, anyone having the outlet fitting on the hyd pump loosening and causing a nuisance leak? Is tightening it periodically the solution or something else might be wrong? Like an o-ring not sealing anymore or threads needing sealant?

I am not sure the type of fitting and would like to have a replacement at hand before removing. The high pressure hose is OK and the leak comes from either the swivel or the adapter on the pump body.

Thanks for your comments.

Diesel Dave

The adapter fitting is a short straight male -16 SAE (o-ring boss) to male -16 ORFS ( o-ring face seal) .
Deere part # 38H1164 , Parker # X16F5OLO-S . Adapter c/w the 2 o-rings .
1710251267975.jpeg

Last edited:

Ricardo Cotte

The adapter fitting is a short straight male -16 SAE (o-ring boss) to male -16 ORFS ( o-ring face seal) .
Deere part # 38H1164 , Parker # X16F5OLO-S . Adapter c/w the 2 o-rings .
Hello Diesel Dave,

Thank you so much for such valuable information. It might seem I'm lazy to search for this but I guess you'll agree with me that this is what makes this HEF useful for everyone.

As I have mentioned before, I am just an owner of a hobby type backhoe to be used here at my property. Any maintenance/repair I can do myself is priceless since I'm a bit far away from service centers.

I thightened it really good this morning with a 41mm combination wrench from below. I suspect vibration or pulsations when using hydraulics may be loosening it. Or it might be a damaged o-ring or the sealing surface?

Will see. Now I will procure this fitting just in case I need to remove it altogether. Not an easy task I guess

Again, thanks much for sharing your knowledge and experience.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
When you crank down on those ORBS fittings the oring gets squashed and then it hit metal, much more likely to loosen up.

Ricardo Cotte

you have confirmed my fears. The adapter fitting is very inexpensive. However, replacing it I suspect can be an adventure where it is located. And secondly, after making sure all hydraulic pressure is off, will I end up with a constant flow of fluid from the reservoir?

Thanks much for your comments.

Tree Mulcher

This will not help if you have an oring issue.

If you have a fitting that is loosening, and it is the proper fitting for the application I have had success with Loctite 545. this is hydraulic Loctite purple in color and designed for hydraulic fittings. Likely not available locally. It is available on Ebay.

Ricardo Cotte

If you have a fitting that is loosening, and it is the proper fitting for the application I have had success with Loctite 545. this is hydraulic Loctite purple in color and designed for hydraulic fittings. Likely not available locally. It is available on Ebay.
Hello Tree Mulcher,

Thanks for your input. I guess you may be right.

This is a fairly large fitting requiring a 41 mm wrench. To apply the thread locker will require removing it along with the adapter.

Have you applied the compound on both threads? I mean the one that goes in the pump body and the swivel ORBS fitting ? Thanks

Vetech63

When an ORFS fitting comes loose, its usually because the oring in the fitting is too big (thick or dead and damaged.) When you tighten the connection it compresses the oring and spreads the outer edge onto the metal contact surface and after a bit of time the oring fails causing it to be loose. The thickness of the oring should be just a touch above the flat of the fitting and be snug on the outer circumference of the boss.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
You don’t need thread sealer on a ORBS fitting you need a good oring, which at the moment, you do not have.
Yes it will be a pain and you’re going to probably have to remove other lines to get to the one you need.
If all hydraulics are off and relaxed you shouldn’t empty the tank but realistically you need to be ready for a fair amount of fluid.
I would verify the size and get oring or you could order a kit for ORBS fittings, they are fairly cheap. You could also order some Locktite thread sealer and use both.
Then get a nice warm oil bath.
Lol

Ricardo Cotte

You don’t need thread sealer on a ORBS fitting you need a good oring, which at the moment, you do not have.
Yes it will be a pain and you’re going to probably have to remove other lines to get to the one you need.
If all hydraulics are off and relaxed you shouldn’t empty the tank but realistically you need to be ready for a fair amount of fluid.
I would verify the size and get oring or you could order a kit for ORBS fittings, they are fairly cheap. You could also order some Locktite thread sealer and use both.
Then get a nice warm oil bath.
Lol
Hello Harley Happy,

Thanks for your insight. You're mentioning what looks will be my destiny

I already ordered the new ones.

Ricardo Cotte

When an ORFS fitting comes loose, its usually because the oring in the fitting is too big (thick or dead and damaged.) When you tighten the connection it compresses the oring and spreads the outer edge onto the metal contact surface and after a bit of time the oring fails causing it to be loose. The thickness of the oring should be just a touch above the flat of the fitting and be snug on the outer circumference of the boss.
Good advice. Thanks!

I love this HEF. Lots of good people sharing knowledge with us less experienced.