• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 555A one way steer

James alex zheltonoga

I have a john deere 555A track loader that steers when you first start up but stops steering to the right after it is warmed up. I adjusted the steering brakes but it didnt help. Some one told me that the valve body on the top of the transmission has a valve in it that moves from one side to the other when you push the foot steering pedals. they said that that spool may be hanging up. Any body ever hear of this problem or have any ideas about it ?

Diesel Dave

The (2) steering pedals travel about the same amount with the same effort and feel ?

About half of the initial steer pedal travel is to dump the steering clutch pressure , and about the last half of the travel is to apply the brake band so the track stops ,locks and the tractor turns.
You didn’t mention any lugging of the engine while trying to steer or feeling like it’s driving through the steering brake so it seems like the steering clutch pressure is being dumped properly.
I suspect the right side brake band is heavily glazed.

James alex zheltonoga

I had it running today,and checked the steering clutchs . when machine is in gear and you push both pedals half way down the machine stops moving and it does'nt seem to pull the engine down. so i am thinking the brake is glazed. any way of checking that ?

Diesel Dave

I don’t know of any way to visually check the brake band with the band installed.
Even with the top cover of the steering clutch housing removed, you can’t see the lining of the brake band.
Do the 2 pedals travel roughly the same distance with the same effort applied ?
If so ,the brake band must be glazed.

James alex zheltonoga

Any one know how to tell what year a John Deere 555 is by the serial number? I have searched the internet for this info and it is very confusing. They say that 1976-1982 is a 555 and 1983 & 1984 are 555A. The serial number on the tool box plate is stamped 555C- 343212T on my machine. Any one have any idea what year it is ?

Diesel Dave

Last edited: