• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 550G vs. Cat D4?

Skid Shear

Still looking for insight from you guys. Wondering what others that have operated/owned these machines have to say about the pros and cons of each. I know, I know....some guys have strong preferences for each so let me have it.

I'm looking for one to use reclaiming overgrown farm and ranch land. Not trying to make a living with it, just needs to be dependable as I am not a heavy equipment mechanic by any means. I can deal with making adjustments, changing hoses and routine maintenance, but do not have the tools or skills to do major repairs.

From what I can tell, this size (~80hp) machine seems to be fairly prevalent and light enough for me to mobilize if needed.

Let me know y'alls thoughts folks...I'm listening!

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Which d4, a 550g will hold its own with a d4c or g, but a d4h or simular hightrack will eat it. Is the 550 the usual direct drive model, they take some gettin used to but are more powerfull than a torque converted model.

For me it would come down to dealer suport, machine overall condition, and price. Both are leaders of the pack in the small dozer market, personally I think a d5c/g compares better against a 550g, but I'm biased, I like me deere.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Never had either but I do have a D31P-20 Komatsu LGP. Absolutely love it. I may sell it in the near future cause I'm bout done with it. It's gona be hard to part with it that I can guarantee and I may just keep it.

Skid Shear

I hear that...dealer support seems to be one of the most important things to consider while shopping for this equipment.

I'm not against Komatsu, I have a skid steer by them that has always done what I asked of it. There just seem to be more used JDs and Cats for sale.

Are the high track cats that much more productive?

Thanks for the info....

Skid Shear

Anybody know what areas of the US have the best prices on these types of dozers? I'm in Texas, but not opposed to getting one shipped if it is the right deal. Looking at Machinery Trader, Equipment Trader and Ebay, there seem to be more for sale in other parts of the country.

Let me know what y'all think.

TEC

I think the equipment prices in Michigan are low, not sure what the rest of the country is doing. You can go to richie bros. and look through past auctions to get an idea of prices in different parts of the country. Shipping can be pretty expensive, but I assume you already know that.

I don't think the high track makes a machine more productive. I thought it was a more compact drive, easier to work on, easier on the drives as they are out of the dirt, and less wear on the rest undercarriage. There is some dispute to the last point as the track is longer (more expensive), more bends in the tracks (but they are not as acute as a flat track). You also have a little better visibility of the blade being that your higher.

Tom

Skid Shear

Nice!
I never knew there was so much information available on the Richie Bros website. Good way to get an idea of what's selling for how much, although there is not much information about the condition or history of the items.

Anyone have experience buying from these guys or similar auctions? bout the only thing I ever bought at an auction was cattle...

d9gdon

Yeah, I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them and other auctions. There's one coming up a week after next in Ft Worth. You owe it to yourself to go to it even if you don't buy. You can learn a lot by talking to other folks there who are looking at equipment that you're interested in. Just ask. That's what I did when I first started. You'll get a straighter answer than from some salesman trying to sell you a piece... Now, you will see some junk there too. You will also see some junk that has a brand new Ritchie Bros. paint job. But you can find a nice original piece there also. You can meet the representative from Ritchie Bros. that services your area. That should be David Hillburn for you. He's a great resource for any questions you have. He gets a paycheck regardless, so he doesn't have an agenda to sell you anything; and he's seen thousands of dozers come thru the auction.

I bet that when you bought those cattle at the used cow sale (say hi to Dale McKinney at the Dublin sale barn if you see him) they didn't come with a warranty or condition guarantee either(ever bought a cow that was 6 months bred and calved the week after you got it or the other way around?). You just gotta educate yourself and then pull the trigger.

I have found that a lot of equipment for sale around here by private treaty (in newspapers and on Craigslist) can be grossly misrepresented (most of the time unknowingly) and way over priced; as in "My grandad left me this tractor and he said it has 85% UC and is worth $25000". Or some family friend or expert has told them it's worth X amount when in reality it's a parts tractor in both situations. I find that a lot.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Reason a high track 4 will out work a deere 550 is pure horsepower and weight, and the cat wins both by like 10-20 hp and 6,000 lbs I believe. Has nothing to do with the high drive.

d9gdon

Yeah, I agree with stumpjumper83. I forgot to mention that in my earlier post. Those high track 4's and 5's are not even in the same class as the oval tracked 4's and 5's and can't be compared. They're a way different animal.

Skid Shear

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there must be something other than a few more links in the tracks cause the prices tend to be quite a bit more for the high tracks.

d9-
You must be closer than I thought. I'm about 8 miles down the road from Dale's salebarn...

d9gdon

Skid Shear,

Yeah, I'm west of Waco. I'd be about 60 miles from you. Hope you get rained out today. We got nearly 3 inches over 4 days here. Beats the hell outta last year! Maybe it'll keep raining and I won't have to clean any stock tanks out this year. I got my fill of them last year. Did somewhere around 200-250 of them.

I like it about as much as pushing cedars in August. Some landowner's always got to have that brilliant idea. That's a winter job...

Skid Shear

No Fair! Get out there and blow those clouds towards Hico.

I can't really complain though, I had a great spring which brought the bluestem on...course it also brought out weeds that I have not seen in years.

Amen to the winter clearing...I try to gently persuade them to wait till September. Man, that's lots of tanks...2-3/day?

TEC

I didn't realize that there was a 5 ton difference between a d4c and the d4h. You learn something new everyday.

Tom

Skid Shear

Somebody tell me how much an equipment hauler can carry without a permit...I pulled dry vans for years and we could carry ~48K and still be legal, but I'm not familiar with hauling heavy equipment.

Thanks

d9gdon

I think it's still 80K gross. When you get above that, you have to get an overweight permit. Like on our 4 axle truck and 3 axle trailer, you're already at 44K empty. So to haul a D8, you have to have one worth about 130K. I think they give you 36 hours to get it done. I have heard of secretaries putting down a vague description on the overweight permit, like "Cat Bulldozer"...and the D8 goes first and the D9 goes a few hours later. I would never do that to TxDOT. That's unthinkable and just wrong in this economy.

TEC

I think it's still 80K gross. When you get above that, you have to get an overweight permit. Like on our 4 axle truck and 3 axle trailer, you're already at 44K empty. So to haul a D8, you have to have one worth about 130K. I think they give you 36 hours to get it done. I have heard of secretaries putting down a vague description on the overweight permit, like "Cat Bulldozer"...and the D8 goes first and the D9 goes a few hours later. I would never do that to TxDOT. That's unthinkable and just wrong in this economy.

That does seem very wrong.

Tom

d9gdon

Knot headed secretaries, I go to all the trouble of giving them a detailed description with dimensions...and what do they hear? Blah, blah, blah "Cat bulldozer, got it."

Skid Shear

Darn those office workers!

So is ~44K empty weight typical for equipment haulers? Meaning that he can haul a piece of equipment w/o a permit if it weighs <36K?

d9gdon

I think that's the case. That's with a big trailer though, like a 3 axle detachable. My Mack and old Hyster 25 ton trailer don't weigh but 28K empty. I can haul a D7F or D7G with a ripper pretty easy. With my night time permit it will go more.

You know how confusing it can get. One of the haulers on here can steer you straight on that. Wait a couple of days for an answer on this topic and if you don't get one you may have to start a new topic on it.

By the way, I sent that rain your way. You should be gettin it just about now. Good luck.

Last edited: