• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 455G Transmission Parts Opinion

telwood

I have a JD 455G track loader and had transmission problems. Removed the transmission unit and took it to a shop to be rebuilt. The JD AG dealer took it apart and did a material take-off that included some expensive gears so I went to the shop to view them today.

The 3 parts that make up about $4k were large gears with very minor damage. The most expensive gear is the T104719 ($2k) part where 2 teeth have a 1/4" deep by 1/2" along gear corner cracked off. There is still 1/2 the surface fully intact on those 2 teeth and the 2 teeth are not next to each other but have a full tooth between them. The rest of the unit is like new. The other 2 gear parts are T152837 ($1.2k) and T145041 ($.8k) with hardly noticeable corners on a couple teeth worn off....very minor and hard to find. The tooth damage was not the cause of failure rather the clutch's were deteriorated and crumbled.

This is a farm use tractor with hardly any use and expect maybe 100-200 hours a year use anticipated. It has a new undercarriage and 4690 hours. Everything works.

Would you change those gears? I will be having the tranny rebuilt with all new clutch plates and a few bearings but the unit looks real good other than the minor teeth damage. The AG dealer says with those gears the warranty might be limited to 6 months...but keep in mind the rare use.

Any opinions if it were your tractor and what you would do?

Thanks,
Tom

Tags

I hate to say it but you should probably change the gears. I think that if one hardened piece of gear has already broken then you can bet more pieces will follow. The problem is that if you don't replace it and it grenades inside the transmission you're gonna be out a lot more than the just the cost of the parts, there's always a chance a piece gets stuck between a gear and the transmission housing and punches a hole in the housing. I'm sure someone that knows a lot more than me will chime in soon....

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Teeth don't normally just break unless there was some type if problem in alignment or foreign parts go through them.
They will break if the hardcasing is worn or erroded, but that is obvious when you look at it.

Am I understanding that they will still offer a 6mth warranty if you decide to re-use the 3 gears? - If so, you would want that in writing......

telwood

Thanks for the replies. I asked the mechanic about the teeth damage and why we didn't see pieces in the casing or if it was the cause of the transmission wearing out and he said it was probably a casting defect because there was no trace of overall damage beyond the teeth themselves.

telwood

Also was going to ask if anyone knows a source for these parts. I'm told they are no longer produced by JD. I guess either an aftermarket or used would be good to see if there is a savings from what they quoted.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I went thru Eaton Fuller gear school in the late 70's for structural failure causes, cracked or damaged teeth happen two ways, passing foreign debris or even other teeth chunks and stress fatigue, either way once broken there is a stress fracture inside the cracked or chipped tooth and Will not IF fail further. The others are correct, better to change now than pull it again.

telwood

Thanks for all the help...looks like the best way is to get a rebuild unit in whole and have my guy just put it in. This way they can have the core and I get good gears, new clutches and testing.

Dave Neubert

Hi Dave, who is the outfit that goes with the phone number? I am always looking to expand my used equipment parts list. Thanks...Mike
Machinery Parts Warehouse, and Great lakes Equipment this was for the t104719 They show having the other parts too. If they don't have them go to machinery trader and go to parts look up and other places showed having the other 2 gears too

Last edited:

telwood

these people show used ones 786-999-3118 815=552-7044

Thanks Dave. I'll see how this rebuilt unit thing goes and go this route if it fails. Great to have a new contact for parts with all my older equipment