• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

jd 450 D strange parts

PBmagnet

ive got a jd 450 D dozer [from california] that i recently blew up the motor, so i bought a used 450 C motor [from Canada}
and in switching out the parts i noticed a big chunk of iron on the timing cover with fuel lines and coolant lines going into it.
It doesn't look like an aftermarket part, but is not even mentioned in any book [i have books on the 450 B,C, and D] and its gear driven off the cam. is this some cold weather thing?, or a fuel\water\oil pump? The other motor has a cover plate where this thing is... so my question is ,can i [or should i] scrap this iron parasite? and install my fuel lines like they were .or leave it there just dont hook up any lines to it? 20191126_154732[1].jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Same way in my Allis has P/S, hydraulic Clutches and Brake apply assist which it does NOT need, I have backed the Boost damned near to full off on the brakes, swings hard tight and fast with little to any boost pressure available. KNOWN to tear brake shoes apart.

PBmagnet

well thank u mg ,you were right i thought u were just messin with me ,cuz i was new[thought u were gonna tell me to check for spark next]so now i guess i can take it off and just make a cover plate and gasket and forget it was ever there...again t y for your input

Vetech63

You are welcome. If you have a 450B tech manual (TM1033) just go to section 60 page 10-2.
Oh I forgot, Welcome to HEF PB Magnet;)!

SHhhh, that's our secret, we lull you in for a few days before we will start pulling your chain....:D
Yeah, some of us get our jollies by having newbies chase their tails.;)