• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 320 bad engine - need block

mikea

Dropped #3 valve, broken piston, cracked block. My engine model# 4024T002. I found a block with model# 4024TF270. Anyone know if this block will work?
This engine seems to have a less than great reputation. Any suggestions (like keying camshaft, etc) for getting it right much appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

Diesel Dave

There are 4 different part numbers for complete block assembly’s for a 4024TF270.
You have a 320 machine serial number and a serial number for the donor 4024TF270 ?

mikea

Thanks for your reply.
My 320 serial number: PE4024T112442
I don't have the donor number at this time. I can try to get it.

mikea

Thanks mg2361! After re-reading your post here: 4024 engine , I'm not seeing a rebuild path to a reliable engine, because of the valve train/injection pump issues. IMO, using the valve cover as part of the intake manifold was a bad choice. It seems like the top-end is seeing too much heat from exhaust/turbo air. Just a theory.

Do you know of any attempts at replacement with another engine, JD or otherwise?

Diesel Dave, I requested serial# from seller. Thanks!

mikea

Diesel Dave said: The donor number is the most important at this point.​

The seller will not give the serial #. That's a deal killer.
I would love to hear feedback on rebuilding this engine. Specifically, the must do items to correct (as much as possible) the design flaws.
My block is cracked at #3 cylinder wall in two places. The crack is all the way through into the cooling passage. I do not consider this weldable or fixable by boring and installing liner. Does anyone know a solution I have not considered? I believe the block to be garbage.
IMO, the valve springs are not up to the task. Has anyone replaced with another spring?, how about pushrods?
How about the injection pumps springs/seals? Any more reliable parts available?
I think the cam should be keyed.
What am I missing? Is rebuilding with some upgrades a bad choice in your opinion?
Does anyone know for sure the origin of this common destruction of this engine? Was cam timing the beginning of the end?
Any and all feedback welcome.
Thanks, Mike

Diesel Dave

While doing the post mortem on your engine, check if the cam gear retaining bolt came loose. IIRC, most cam timing issues were the result of an injection pump(s) seizure causing the cam gear to slip on the cam.
If you are looking for a used short block your application requires balance shafts code 4501 and piston code 4802 .
Long block with same balance shaft and piston codes as above and cylinder head code 5101.
A block same as yours was used in
- Deere CT322 track loader with engine model 4024TT002
- Deere 244J loader with engine model 4024TT003
- some 4024TF220, 4024TF270 and 4024TF280 Deere OEM engines.
I wouldn’t try and re-engineer the thing, Deere didn’t think it was worth saving by investing any more resources.
IMHO, I would get the machine running as cheap as possible and sell it asap.

Last edited: