• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 310E transmission pull/repair help?

Clawed Backster

It seemed to go together without a problem with that one dowel in. The two halves almost fell together. That's my son Auston torquing the bolts to spec. No dowel puller required this time. :)
View attachment 205745
How's that kid going to learn to sit on his butt all day playing video games with you having him out doing constructive stuff?

JL Sargent

How's that kid going to learn to sit on his butt all day playing video games with you having him out doing constructive stuff?
That's a good question. We try to limit game playing around here. He'll be turning 16 next month, but as you can see, we've been wrenching together for quite a while. He is about 5 here.
7.JPG

JL Sargent

Alright, got the transmission stabbed today. That went just fine. Might be the Monday after Thanksgiving before we can work on it more. Thanks for all the help!

JL Sargent

Had a nice vacation over the Thanksgiving holiday. Good to take a break and visit family in another state. Now back to this backhoe project. The only thing left on this is the hydraulic tank. I hope to get that in today and start it for the first time in the morning. Anything I should do on this first start up? Was thinking I might let it run on the stands a few minutes and operate forward/reverse a little on the stands just to make it easy that first time or two?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Anything I should do on this first start up? Was thinking I might let it run on the stands a few minutes and operate forward/reverse a little on the stands just to make it easy that first time or two?

Running it while on the stands is what I do. I have my gauges on it to confirm pressures are all good. Just curious, did you replace the torque converter and trans cooler?

JL Sargent

did you replace the torque converter and trans cooler?
No, I only replaced frictions, steels, o-rings, sealing rings, and torque converter shaft seal. Of course I installed a new filter and fluid. I'll let my parking brake switch and mfwd switch tell me if I have good system pressure.

JL Sargent

Hallelujah! Everything seems to be good. Parking brake goes off instantly on demand and MFWD verified working with switch. Fwd, Reverse both work in all gears. No unusual vibrations or sounds. No leaks to be found! Let it run for about 15 minutes. Next I'll take it off the stands and give it work out.

Mg, I torqued the main hyd pump's mounting bolts to 54 ft lbs. What do you do? I did not see a reference for those in the book.

Last edited:

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If you have the correct bolts which are 12mm grade 10.9 then it should be 90 lbft. Glad to hear you are up and running. Good job;)!
Also, when you had that much debris stuck to your suction tube and you are re-using the TC and cooler I would change the trans filter after 10 hrs of run time. I would then cut open the removed filter to to see how much additional stuff got caught (if any). An extra filter change is cheap insurance.

JL Sargent

I would change the trans filter after 10 hrs of run time.
Will do! mg, thanks so much for your help with this project and Tinkerer you too! I learned a lot about this ZF transmission. Before I tore it down, I would have suspected that this trans had been abused. Now I think the friction material simply separated from the metal backing in the clutch after a lot of years. When I took the reverse drum apart, it was in perfect shape except 1/2 of one side of a friction had let go. It was complete and in the approximately correct location, but detached from the metal backing. It was the start of the failure in this drum. The backhoe is 20 years old and I think these frictions eventually just give up. Thanks again for the help!

JL Sargent

Just a quick question. I ran the backhoe for an hour or so today. Worked well, no problems. I checked the trans fluid after it was up to temp and I notice a trace of small bubbles in the fluid. It looks like a small amount of aeration going on or maybe air trapped in trans and working its way out? I checked several times and this never seemed to worsen. Any thoughts on this? I'm wondering if a few bubbles in the fluid might be ok?
Thanks.

Edit: MG, I went back and reread that previous thread and you specifically asked if the fluid was foamy. No, it's not. I'm suspecting this is not a real problem?

Last edited:

JL Sargent

I'm now think driving around in 4th gear can cause a few air bubbles. Or maybe some air trapped in trans somewhere? I parked it, shut it down and let it rest for 15 minutes, recranked it and its running now with no bubbles in the oil at all after 20+ minutes. A transmission air bubble study is apparently underway here lol.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Was the vent cleaned or replaced? Super tiny bubbles, especially after roading in 4th wouldn't be unusual since the the gears at the bottom of the trans could agitate that oil pretty well. Let us know how the air bubble study goes:D.

JL Sargent

I don't think I'm out of the woods on this transmission yet. The bubble study continues in the transmission dip stick. I ran the tractor parked for 10 minutes and no bubbles. I then put it in reverse only for 5 minutes (1/2 a mile) and got bubbles. I let it rest and then ran it in forward only for 5 minutes (1/2 mile or so) and got bubbles again??? So weird. See photo of fluid on dip stick and it's interesting to me that the fluid does not seem to travel up the stick or really get foamy? There are however lots and lots of tiny bubbles there that I cannot explain. What do you think? I have Tractor Supply's J20C equivalent in the trans right now. I'm thinking I'll switch to HyGard to start with and see if that stops it.
bubbles.jpg