• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Jd 250

jshughes

I need advice about whether to overhaul my rh parkiing brake myself, and i need the technical manual with the later parking brake --mine is Too250a, 2004, SN 921912.

I had a slow hydr leak for a long time (from the time i bought it year and a half ago) before i tracked it to the breather cap on top of the right chain case. I had to add a gallon or so every 2 or 3 hrs operation. No evidence of leaks from hoses, lines or motor/brake castings. Suddenly, last week the leak from the chain case vent increases to a steady trail on the ground and a pool of fluid every where i stopped for even a few seconds. Seller didnt tell me about the leak, but emphasized that brakes were rebuilt a few months earlier. ( if only he had taken it back and made them redo the job)

I did a crude test to determine if the fluid in the chain case is coming from the drive motor or the parking brake which is sandwiched between the motor and the chain case. I siphoned 5 gal fluid out of the chain case and marked the depth remaining in the case on a dipstick down thru the vent hole on top of the chain case. Then i started the skid and ran exactly 3 min with the parking brake button in the disengaged position. The fluid level in the chain case went up 1.25 inches.

I siphoned out another 5 gal and repeated with the parking brake button engaged (brake on). That time, NO rise in fluid in the chain case, so no leak-by in the brake I assume. In both tests, I didnt move the steering controls or the boom/bucket controls at all.

From my simple test I conclude the problem is in the rh brake and not the drive motor. Glad i dodged that bullet!!!! (if im right)

i have tm1747, but it only covers the older brake style. If i attempt pulling the brake and rebuilding, i need a step-by-step guide. Am I nuts to think about it?

Can anyone help with the manual or personal experience with the brake? thanks!

Joe

Last edited: