• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB Skid Steer

RCMEDIA

Yep even though these machines seldom break unless you're doing something stupid its nice to have a good dealer near-by. I live in Ga where these machines are hatched!

Have a great weekend

Mike

dave esterns

i have finally come around and decided to buy a second new style jcb or volvo skid steer to team up with the current 205. this time a large frame. I'm hoping to get one cheap at an auction because I'm the only one around who knows how sweet they are... also I'm looking to put duals on the front tires since the steel tracks won't work on it; assuming they make such a thing.

dave esterns

i have to admit that jcb and company keeps continuing to impress me. they randomly called me up today (the dealer) to update my machine (without asking).

normally the jcb has the standard controls. iso pattern, not adjustable.

they came out and did the big software update. now i have 3 drive/boom modes to choose from via buttons on the dash on the go, and now i have the sweet auto idle feature too! along with the ability to purchase h pattern unlock. i was pretty much used to the standard controls. but since it was new my only problem with the controls was that it took so much time to dump into a truck, turn around and head back for another bucket load. they definitely solved this problem, now it turns more like the old bobcat where it will whip right around no problem.

i am looking forward to spending more time in the machine to see if they have it perfected...

Digdeep

i have to admit that jcb and company keeps continuing to impress me. they randomly called me up today (the dealer) to update my machine (without asking).

normally the jcb has the standard controls. iso pattern, not adjustable.

they came out and did the big software update. now i have 3 drive/boom modes to choose from via buttons on the dash on the go, and now i have the sweet auto idle feature too! along with the ability to purchase h pattern unlock. i was pretty much used to the standard controls. but since it was new my only problem with the controls was that it took so much time to dump into a truck, turn around and head back for another bucket load. they definitely solved this problem, now it turns more like the old bobcat where it will whip right around no problem.

i am looking forward to spending more time in the machine to see if they have it perfected...

Dave...just yanking your chain, but are you sure it was random? Maybe they called all of their North American SSL customers....it wouldn't take that long :D

You know I'm kidding. Glad you're happy with the new hystat response settings.

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
i have finally come around and decided to buy a second new style jcb or volvo skid steer to team up with the current 205. this time a large frame. I'm hoping to get one cheap at an auction because I'm the only one around who knows how sweet they are... also I'm looking to put duals on the front tires since the steel tracks won't work on it; assuming they make such a thing.

Even though OTTs won't work on a new style JCB/Volvo because of the low cut side door, you could just get a tracked model...yea, I know, it's more expensive.

But, I'm intrigued by your idea of duals for the front tires...Let me know how this works out...If not duals, maybe wide, fat tires??

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Got a surprise package from our JCB dealer today, 7/30/2014. It's the hose I ordered just 4/22/2014:eek: For our Robot 185

This is the second one they shipped, the first one came in in a few days but had one of the ends 180º off from the position it should have been. Took that one back to dealer and after waiting a couple weeks was told the main warehouse had shipped the second one but could not find where it went:Banghead

As I was getting tired of walking around this dead machine I took the failed original hose to our local Aeroquip dealer and in the matter of 15 minutes had one in my hand:D Best thing is the hose dealer and the JCB dealer are maybe 1/2 mile apart.

In the mean time management finally approved sending the boom out to a machine shop to have the bucket end line bored that came back just yesterday. Good news is the linkage for the bucket is all nice and tight, bad news is due to how bad it was from lack of grease the only way to fix it was to make all new pins and bushings even to the point of machining the trunion mounts for the tilt cylinder under-size and make new bushings to fit the four connecting rods that hold the tilt cylinder. So nothing at the bucket end of the boom is stock sizes anymore. But for now everything is nice and tight. Now if I could just convince guys who run machine to grease the bucket linkage every time it is used it might just last till I retire early next year;)

durallymax

BAZINGA! That was a good one....I'll give you that.

I giggled a little too.

Since we're on the JCB topic, I signed up to demo one. They were offering $100 gas cards to the first 350 people. They didn't put a time that could come first so this deal may last awhile. I'll see if they follow through.

cat320

Charter Member
I giggled a little too.

Since we're on the JCB topic, I signed up to demo one. They were offering $100 gas cards to the first 350 people. They didn't put a time that could come first so this deal may last awhile. I'll see if they follow through.
I also have a demo to do dealer is trying to find a new machine for us to demo they have hardly any in stock and from what he told me the girl who started this demo thing for a $100 gas card left the marketing co so they where trying to figure out what was going on with it. that is what I was told.

what are the pros and cons for these machines rubber tire not track how do they compare to the deere e series besides the side door? also how is heat and defrost in the winter ?

dave esterns

i will make a few random comments. the jcb would be much quieter in the cab than the deere. the deere air ride seat is nicer than the jcbs. can't run tracks on a wheeled jcb. check into emissions solutions on the deere. heat is good, defrost seems to be acceptable on the jcb. jcb has electric controls only.

there really is not a lot of cons to the jcb i would say demo one for as long as possible and if you like it buy it.

dave esterns

ah yes that was a funny joke! so my analysis on the software update is that even in mode 1 the joysticks are too aggressive for my liking now since i am used to the machine being a bit lethargic and relaxed. i will probably have them change it back to the old software mainly because the old man can't drive it now since its different.

i will be interested to hear what durally thinks about the software and how it compares to the cat, assuming he gets one with the latest update.

RCMEDIA

Hello I have a fairly new JCB 225 track loader and i have some mechanical noise coming from the the tracks on both sides - could it be the tension is too loose - anyone else hear a noise like this?

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
Alerted by durallymax's post, I signed up last week for the $100 gas card-JCB demo thing. I did the demo yesterday at the local JCB dealer's yard of a 260T. They also had a slightly older 225 I looked at, but didn't spend any time on. I will post my summary/comments as soon as I get a chance.

durallymax

i will be interested to hear what durally thinks about the software and how it compares to the cat, assuming he gets one with the latest update.

I'll let you know if I ever hear back from them. I am assuming it is someone from corporate who called me at first as they were from many states away. They called from a restricted number and I didn't answer. Left a voicemail which I thought I saved but must have deleted. So I called the local dealer assuming they were the ones who called. They were very confused it seemed and through phone tag gave me about 3 different people that were supposed to be the person for my territory. The repeater in our shop was broken at the time so I missed a lot of calls. Never did get ahold of anyone. Awhile later the restricted number called again and I answered. He took down some info but didn't seem to know much about SSL's. He said someone locally would follow up. Haven't heard anything since. Dealer must know about the program though, its advertised on their big sign.

I know they are "new" around here, so I still give them the benefit of the doubt for being so disorganized. Doesn't change how the machine itself is, but does influence a purchase decision. One of the main reasons I like dealing with Cat is their extreme level of organization. They have been around for a long time though and had awhile to perfect their system.

From reading wally's post and talking with the guy on the phone, I get the impression that these are not serious demos. Just some time to drive one around the dealer lot. I told the Bobcat guy the same thing, I'm not interested in a machine we can't demo for a couple days doing real work with the real operators. Me driving it at the lot doesn't mean a lot and I'm not rounding everyone up just to go down there and drive it around. That was what got Cat's foot in the door to begin with, an actual serious demo that gave you more than enough time to get a feel for things. At the time Cat stopped out I was not interested at all, but they offered the demo and I'm always open to trying something. Even then I was still leaning towards Bobcats and not because of any sort of influence from the Bobcat dealer. To me both machines we good, but Bobcat had foot controls. I reached out to Bobcat for a demo and pricing, was told they do not do demos even on used machines(of course that story is different if you ask them now). I'm sure if I would've tried someone else, or pushed harder I would've gotten one, but why? Why should I work for the dealer when another one is working for me? In a way I reached out to Bobcat and Cat reached out to me. Had the tables been turned I am 99% certain you would see Bob in front of the Cat in my pictures. Without a doubt. Like I said though, to me both machines were equally good in their own ways, one dealer was willing to work for business, the rest were not (well our NH dealer was good, but the product wasn't). It left an impression, and they got the business.

Last edited:

cat320

Charter Member
well I was able to get a 4 hour demo on one at my location they where having a hard time locating a new one for me to try when or if it gets here I will see how they are. not much time to really get to know what it can do . they did want to let me demo an old model for longer time but if I have to do that why bother I have a machine now I don't need a rental.

cat320

Charter Member
well we got a 175 eco to demo to demo at our location . right now there are some pros and cons to it and some things I'm not used to with the servo controls. you can get to most all filters and belt oil is deep inside but cartridge so not to bad oil drain no port to outside you have to drop a plate and take pug off inside. this machine is just shy of every option. heats well cools well a lot of button pushing to even get it to move. I tried it one night with cold we had the inside fogged up and all full with vents trained at windows would not clear up fast or at all . other than getting to the filters don't know how you would do any other work inside the engine compartment the tilting cab is good for the chain and other pumps but nothing on the engine side at least on this model. air ride seat not what I was expecting for the additional money this machine has the driving kit and the lights are bright but I think not all working as only 1 bulb will light up in the front light out of the three unless I'm not pushing the right buttons maybe on the stick as it has aux hydro and multi function controls.

dave esterns

well we got a 175 eco to demo to demo at our location . right now there are some pros and cons to it and some things I'm not used to with the servo controls. you can get to most all filters and belt oil is deep inside but cartridge so not to bad oil drain no port to outside you have to drop a plate and take pug off inside. this machine is just shy of every option. heats well cools well a lot of button pushing to even get it to move. I tried it one night with cold we had the inside fogged up and all full with vents trained at windows would not clear up fast or at all . other than getting to the filters don't know how you would do any other work inside the engine compartment the tilting cab is good for the chain and other pumps but nothing on the engine side at least on this model. air ride seat not what I was expecting for the additional money this machine has the driving kit and the lights are bright but I think not all working as only 1 bulb will light up in the front light out of the three unless I'm not pushing the right buttons maybe on the stick as it has aux hydro and multi function controls.

yes the air seat is a joke i will give you that; it actually is a regular nice air seat, but they have it rigged so it isn't much nicer than the mechanical seat.

did you have the ac on when you were defrosting the windows?

if you have the latest software on the joysticks, I can see why you don't like the controls. i guess you could ask them if you have any options for changing it/but you would want another demo if they did.

it seems to me the access plate on the bottom of the machine to access the drain plug is not a terrible system; its simple and effective. i think its a 500 hour change interval.

as far as pushing buttons to get the machine moving, its easier if you push both buttons with 2 fingers at the same time.

cat320

Charter Member
I think when I had it defrosting I had it half and half on the temp control but no a/c on only because it was cold out . not a bad machine but not one I'm use to using as far as the servo controls .

dave esterns

I think when I had it defrosting I had it half and half on the temp control but no a/c on only because it was cold out . not a bad machine but not one I'm use to using as far as the servo controls .

So your used to t bars? Making the switch from mechanical controls to electric is hell

cat320

Charter Member
So your used to t bars? Making the switch from mechanical controls to electric is hell
Yes T bar controls and it was a pain not that id I had enough seat time I could master but I don't think you get the level of feel with the electronic controls.