• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB Hydraulic Fluid 46 Equivalent?

cloves

Anyone have any recommendations on hydraulic fluids? Had to change a hose and lost fluid over the winter. Manual says JCB Hydraulic Fluid 46 wondering if I should just use and head to the dealer or find an equivalent? Dealer is over an hour away.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Finding an ISO 46 hydraulic oil is not the issue. Need to be a bit careful here. I'm no JCB expert but the spec sheet says "low zinc technology". Some people call it "ashless" oil. https://parts.jcb.com/4002-0801t-jcb-hydraulic-fluid-high-performance-46-5ltr.html

Not a standard hydraulic oil at all, most hydraulic oils use zinc as part of the anti-wear additive package, usually around 500ppm.
Hitachi also use zinc-free/ashless hydraulic oil, and also 46 weight, known as HV46 IIRC.
The only ashless 46 hydraulic oil I've ever worked with is Conoco Ecoterra. Should be available in Canada, if not Petro-Canada probably have a similar product.

cloves

Finding an ISO 46 hydraulic oil is not the issue. Need to be a bit careful here. I'm no JCB expert but the spec sheet says "low zinc technology". Some people call it "ashless" oil. https://parts.jcb.com/4002-0801t-jcb-hydraulic-fluid-high-performance-46-5ltr.html

Not a standard hydraulic oil at all, most hydraulic oils use zinc as part of the anti-wear additive package, usually around 500ppm.
Hitachi also use zinc-free/ashless hydraulic oil, and also 46 weight, known as HV46 IIRC.
The only ashless 46 hydraulic oil I've ever worked with is Conoco Ecoterra. Should be available in Canada, if not Petro-Canada probably have a similar product.

Thanks for this info Nige, I am locating in the US. I guess I will call the dealer, and see what they have in stock, def wouldn't want to put the wrong stuff in the machine.

Nige

All the major oil suppliers will have an ashless ISO 46 hydraulic oil in their product range. The market for these oils is too big for them not to. The trick will be finding one close to your location. Otherwise OEM is the only other option.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I don't understand why the issue with zinc. Is this a recent thing with Hitachi? The gray market machines flooded the markets here for many years and no one cared who supplied the oil. Pumps don't care what kind of oil goes through them as long as it is the right viscosity and clean. Most of this sounds like a way to deny warranty claims.

Nige

I don't understand why the issue with zinc. Is this a recent thing with Hitachi? The gray market machines flooded the markets here for many years and no one cared who supplied the oil. Pumps don't care what kind of oil goes through them.....
I can only comment on using ashless oils in Hitachi mining machines. Use regular oil and there are certain components, the vane-type fan motors on the radiators & hydraulic oil coolers for one, that will die in short order. Don't ask me how I know this ........
As I understand it there are two basic anti-wear packages for hydraulic oils, one (ashless) uses zinc, the other doesn't.

cloves

Dealer sold me a 5 gallon bucket of manitowoc hydraulic fluid. I asked if it was low zinc and they said yes and that it was compatible. Pretty damn sketchy, called up the manufacturer and couldn't get anyone on support and they said to talk to the dealer. Little frustrating to say the least.

Last edited:

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
Dealer sold me a 5 gallon bucket of manitowoc hydraulic fluid. I asked if it was low zinc and they said yes and that it was compatible. Pretty damn sketchy, called up the manufacturer and couldn't get anyone on support and they said to talk to the dealer. Little frustrating to say the least.

You say you called JCB ,probably did not talk to the right person .You bought the oil from Hoffman Equipment right. Where in Jersey are you located?