• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB/Gradall G9-43 boom hydraulic hoses repair insane! Advice needed!

unclejemima

We've got a mid 2000's JCB/Gradall G9-43 telehandler and just a week ago we heard some funny noises while on our way to full boom. Shortly after hydraulic fluid started coming out in a rapid fashion so we boomed back and took a look.

Turns out the fork tilt and aux hydraulic lines got tangled up in the chain and are pretty messed up.

No big deal we though, probably a few thousand in repairs...called the JLG dealer and the proceeded to give us a quote.

What happened next no-one could imagine. The repair estimate came in at just shy of $15K!!!!!!!!! I almost had a heart attack!

They have 55 hours labour, and thousands of dollars in parts. This seems insane! The dealer admitted they have not repaired many of these and I think they are being a little hasty. They want to remove the boom from the machine!

I've had another fellow who's repaired them before (a framer by trade) and he makes the story sound much easier but I can't convince him to fix it.

Can someone help with advice? Is this really that big of a job?

Let me know!

Moonlite

Not a big deal to replace just hoses but what else is wrong. Wear pads missing, shives worn out ect. ?

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
Can be a tricky number...
I've known folk split the telescopic boom out. I wouldn't. I've done a few jobs on similar machines... Best way I find is to use a length of rope through the middle of a male hyd fitting and pull the rope through with the failed hose. Trick is slow and steady wins the race. The hoses usually sit in runs so have to be bang on or will fail prematurely.
Slider pads can also usually be changed without splitting the boom too, but it is dependant on what machine.

jatspic05

15K sounds like they are replacing the chains and all the internal components. The pricing is in line for a job of that size. As for the hoses, either try and get the measurements from JLG and have your local hose company make them(Don't make them from the length that they pull from the machine this length is usually stretched and the new hoses are made to long and you have the tangling mess all over again) or order direct from them, which is what we do. In the past we have had a hose company make the hoses and they would get tangled up under the boom sections and usually split, in some cases wedging underneath the boom section and bending wall! They may have also changed the hoses to the newer fused hoses(they come in pairs and the pulley is different made to accommodate the newer hose sections.

Knepptune

If you have a crane and forklift available it's a 3 hr job to pull the boom apart. If the hoses are tangled up in the chains sometimes there's no way to get everything untangled without separating the boom sections.

That being said I could take that boom apart and reassemble it 3-4 times in 55 hours. I usually have a crane sitting at the shop tho.

unclejemima

Thanks guys.

I'm glad to hear some good news on this subject. I've brought the machine to another mechanic for a second opinion. Will find out Monday what the scoop is.

The hoses are tangled in the chain, but not sure how bad...The wear pads are 50% and we would only do them if we had the boom off. I think taking the boom off would be a last resort.

The shives are ok, but probably should be replaced as they sustained some damage when the hoses came off. I't looks pretty tight to pull the shives off the back of the machine. I understand to pull the retaining bolt, then the clips from both sides and push the pin out...but it looks like it would be tight to pull the shives out the back of the machine once the pin is out...but I could be wrong.

We were planning on getting the hoses made at a local hose shop...then have them made shorter by 3/4" shorter to accommodate for stretching. Sounds like we should probably order new hoses from JLG just to be safe thou. Good advice.

Well wish me luck. I'll keep you guys posted. Any other advice would be appreciated!

jatspic05

If you give me the serial number, I can see if our parts guy can get you the lengths. He has a pretty good relationship with JLG. Then you can have them made to their specs.

Moonlite

It's been my experience that you would be money and time ahead to just get the hoses from Jlg. Just my opinion though.