• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Jcb charging problem

Lawnboy2121

i have a 1998 jcb 214 backhoe. I have a problem with the Alternator. I installed a new alternator on the machine and it was a little different from original and that was the new replacement for it now when u start the machine the alternator will charge but if u shut off the machine and start it right back up it won’t charge but if u let it sit off for a minute and start it it will charge any ideas thanks

AllDodge

Check that you have battery voltage on the field winding. Turn key OFF and see which wires have power to them. Then turn key ON and see which others do. When the ALT is not charging, measure the wires and see if something has changed

GT1955

One thought, if it is a automotive alternator you may have to bring up RPM'S for it to kick in, some do not kick in until 1500 RPM'S or so. Probably not problem but never hurts to try. I would probably agree with Tinkerer on it though. Good luck

Lawnboy2121

All the connections r clean I thought maybe a faulty alternator so I replaced it again same problem checked battery no dead cells if u start it up it will charge fine but if u shut the machine down it u need to let it sit 3-4 minutes before u start it again for it to start charging again

Tinkerer

If the wire harness has a junction connector (male/female plug) it may be loose or corroded. Kinda sounds like a broken wire. They sometimes break inside the insulation and can be nearly impossible to find.

Lawnboy2121

But if it is a broken wire it would
Work or not work the machine charges perfectly when u start it up for the first time and will stay charging all day if u let it run but if u shut the machine down and restart it before letting it sit for 3-4 minutes the alternator will not charge but let it sit off for 3-4 minutes it charges doesn’t make sense

Tinkerer

Have actually checked the alternator output when it is the not charging mode ? Is not charging with the motor at high idle ?
You need to do some simple diagnostics starting with the alternator output.
There is always a chance you installed two defective alternators.

Therapydoc

How much voltage are you getting at the battery when charging ? I assume that’s how you know if you’re charging or not or does yours have a bolt gauge. Mine does not