• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 550 troubles

Glensts

Hey all, have a 2000 JCB 550 telehandler and sometimes the forks will not tilt down, usually the oil is warm and you can hear the engine labor when you push the lever ahead. If you run full throttle and push the lever ahead it will tilt very slow.
If you leave it till the next day then it works fine.
Once I had the stabilizer pads down and they wouldn't come back up till the next morning either.
I'm thinking it is something to do with the safety feature that if a hose blows the load won't fall but not sure.
Any ideas or comments?
Glen

grandkobelco

Occupation
chainsaw, small engine mechanic
Not real smart on the jcb but on the sky trak there is a counter balance valve that threads into the base of the cyl, if it wont open the forks move slow and the eng lugs down

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
Also do you have an auxiliary control? Our JCB has a lever for auxilary connections. The operators always seem to turn it on and then they can't get the machine to run right after that. Mine was older than yours though.

Glensts

It was the counterbalance valve, it has an allan screw to adjust the pressure and was able to adjust it down a bit and it works great now.
Thanx all
Now I have to figure why I can use the stabilizers and then all of a sudden they don't work, and the next day they do or 5 minutes later they do. When they quit the levers feel right but there is no engine laboring of a pump or anything, just a moving hydraulic lever.