• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 550 no 4-way stearing

kozakcc

Anyone used machine where there is no room and you have to make sharp turn carrying trusses will know how painfull it is...
I own 1998 JCB 550 and over all great machine with 4850 hours on it. When Ifirst bought it 4-way and crab stearing were working no problem, but 2-way didn't, since that time I switched to 2-way and can't get it back into 4-way which would be great. I took it to mechanic, he changed some sensors but all I have from him is a big bill...
If any of you might know at least where to look I would greatly appreciate any/all help.
Thanks

newty

Ignition on. If you hold a spanner on the bottom of the sensor you should see a LED light up close to where the wire is at the top of the sensor to show they are working. Check this 1st. With the axles in straight ahead position there will be a disk or peg that is directly under the sensor. The light should light up once again. If not lower the sensor till it does. Try these and post how you get on.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
Do you mean the proximity switches located on the axle? My father has a few and he changed them when it wouldn't return to 2 wheel or 4 wheel steer. You haven't blown any fuses yet have you?

newty

Yes the proximity sensors. They either go faulty or out of calibration due to wear in pins/bushes ect. There will be a 10A fuse for the steering system.

lee

hi like the lads say its normally the swithches on the axle there is a black box under the dash this may have gone faulty but if you realy are stuggling contact digger doctor uk he will know and probabley have the parts for it just google the name he comes up
good luck