• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 215S Throttle linkage troubleshooting

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Hi fellas,

My machine is a 1997 jcb 215s, perkins, cab, powershift.

Having trouble with the throttle linkage, need help figuring whats broke.

The hand throttle functions as it should, but the foot throttle fails to return to idle position when you remove your foot.

I suspect it is a failed throttle cable, but can't understand how the two throttle work together to create this symptom.

Any help out there?

Ken

jcb jeff

watglen
Yes both work together from the same cable from injection pump to foot throttle then onto hand lever check that the pedal is free not seized and also the spring on the pedal is not broken and that the cable has not come out of adjustment with the lock nuts coming loose on foot pedal cable mounting or that the cable is not adjusted correctly so as the inner is bunching up at foot pedal. Not the easiest of things to get at but best of luck.

watglen

Occupation
Yeah, not easy to get at.

I was thinking a cable must be broke or something.

I know the spring is good, and the pedal is free to move.

Will start disassembly....

watglen

Occupation
Took all day and 3 guys but we got the foot throttle pedal off. Whew! What a snotty job.

Anyway, in the end, the cables are fine. It was the pivot point for the throttle pedal. Pounded the daylights out of it to get it out. Cleaned it up and lubed. Works nice and easy now. Hopefully reassembly goes a little easier.

Mike-JCB

Hey guys I’m in a similar situation where my backhoe, same 215 model, also has a foot throttle issue. Mines not getting stuck, it seems like it may be too loose. If I use the foot throttle and rake my foot off the pedal the engine will eventually die from lack of fuel.

Does that just need to be adjusted/ tightened? If so where, at the pedal itself? The hand throttle works fine and I use that for the majority of the time.

thanks!

skata

Find the injection pump on the engine. If i remember right, there's a idle set screw on the linkage. The injection pump will be on side of engine with 4 injector lines going to it, and you'll see a linkage arm, with a cable from throttle pedal.

Mike-JCB

You are 100% right and now I’m embarrassed I didn’t think of that. Here’s the latest..

I did take the cover plate off the side of the engine and found the throttle linkage to be pretty loose. But to me the issue really isn’t in the linkage but instead the idler screw. So after the engine was warm, I adjusted the screw so that now the engine will idle anytime I use the foot throttle, and the hand throttle disengages. No problem right?

The next day I go out to do some more work and from a cold start, I it would crank, start, die, crank sputter and die. I eventually got it started but it’s acting like it now has start issues when all I adjusted is the idle screw. Why?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Do u think it’s a fuel supply problem.??
It’s kinda easy to check..
Before you start the engine, if the pump/eng has a hand primer, USE IT.. pump it up and THEN start the engine..

skata

Did you mess with anything else?
I highly doubt adjusting the screw is the problem. Does it run fine if warmed up?

Mike-JCB

I didn’t change anything else beside that screw. I’m not sure that there is a hand pump primer, but part of my problem with this machine is I can’t source an operators manual.

I guess I could readjust the screw back and see how it does, but I can only really test when it’s cold. Runs great once it’s started.

skata

You can find manuals on ebay.
Which engine is in that machine? Perkins 1004? If so, the fuel pump looks like this and is mounted on the side of the engine block.
Screenshot_20210927-085021_eBay.jpg

Mike-JCB

Messed with this a bit more and found the sweet spot. She starts and drives great, with both the foot and hand throttle. Thanks guys.