• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 1CX - Have you used one?

pricos

Jcb 1cx

Hi , I take this post to introduce myself:
My name is John, I 'm Spanish and just bought a 1cx excavator jcb 1995, with peugeot engine.
Now I have several problems:
The electrical system is in poor condition and the valve(HUSCO) blade and attachment is giving problems.
Also fails the drive motor.
I asked for help to jcb , but even within 2 weeks can not move .
I 'm an industrial mechanic , but I never touched any excavator , so I ask for help in this forum to see if AusDave can provide me the service manual,and any documentation that can help me to solve the problems.
thanks in advance.my mail is in the profile .
If I 'm doing something wrong , I apologize .
Regards

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Hi Juan.

I've sent you the manuals via the email address you supplied. Let us know how you get on fixing the 1CX. Also posting some photos of your 1CX here would be good too.

Regards AusDave

pricos

Jcb 1cx

Thank you very much for the manuals AusDave.
Looking electric and hidrahulics schemes, I think one of the problems I have is the pressure reducing valve (9), because when active the joystick boot, (right hand), nothing happens and when I active the travel control, (joystick hand left) engine wants to move, but it seems braking.
Someone can confirm that the reducing valve is the one on the ground under the fuses?
interlock Relay (16),is the same as the Neutral start relay (D)?
Another problem is that when I turn on the engine, the blade connected to the accessory socket, opens by itself and if I try to close the engine go down because the hidrahulic oil seems not return to the tank. I believe the slide is blocked because the solenoids are good.
With this information, if anyone can provide help, I'd be grateful.
I'll start on Monday to check everything with the help of manuals, and ire saying progress.
Also furnishes photographs of the machine.
Regards

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Thank you very much for the manuals AusDave.
Looking electric and hidrahulics schemes, I think one of the problems I have is the pressure reducing valve (9), because when active the joystick boot, (right hand), nothing happens and when I active the travel control, (joystick hand left) engine wants to move, but it seems braking.
Someone can confirm that the reducing valve is the one on the ground under the fuses?
interlock Relay (16),is the same as the Neutral start relay (D)?
Another problem is that when I turn on the engine, the blade connected to the accessory socket, opens by itself and if I try to close the engine go down because the hidrahulic oil seems not return to the tank. I believe the slide is blocked because the solenoids are good.
With this information, if anyone can provide help, I'd be grateful.
I'll start on Monday to check everything with the help of manuals, and ire saying progress.
Also furnishes photographs of the machine.
Regards

Hi Pricos.
So many possibilities of things that could be wrong :confused: If the machine wants to move but the brakes seem to be on then perhaps the brakes are locked on because the safety lockout is not disengaging. Also this will mean the loader won't be able to work either as the safety lockout disables most hydraulic systems apart from the backhoe. Is the backhoe working ok?
If the 4 in 1 bucket opens by itself, (I think that's what you mean?), you must have something wrong in the wiring which is causing the hydraulic flow to be permanently on in one direction. The switch on the joystick and the switch on the control panel could also be shorting.

I think the best place to start would be with the electrics as the problems you describe can all be caused by faulty wiring, solenoids, relays, fuses and switches. Dust, vibration, poor maintenance, abrasion causing short or open circuits and bad electrical repairs by previous owners can cause all kinds of symptoms and in my experience is the first thing to fix. The original wiring in the JCB is usually yellow and written on the wiring are numbers which you can trace using the wiring diagrams in the manual. It's not a pleasant job as everything is dirty hard to see and access and often someone has been there before and made a mess and possibly added additional wiring which just adds to the problem. Just take your time and be patient and work through the circuits. If you have someone who is an automotive electrical expert that can be very helpful.

Let us know how it goes, AusDave

pricos

Jcb 1cx

Hello AusDave ,
Thanks for answering.
I have solved part of the problem, was a faulty wiring in the neutral start relay,
I think the previous owner installed reversing switches on the joystick (attached photos) and the electrical connections of reversing the neutral had properly connected to the relay start .
Backhoe work well , and 4 to 1, the problem is mechanical , I removed the two solenoids and continues to open itself, when the engine is running.Maybe either dirt or a broken spring
regards

Attachments

• 20160904_190425_resized.jpg
    20160904_190425_resized.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 247
  • 20160904_190530_resized.jpg
    20160904_190530_resized.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 246
  • 20160904_200439_resized.jpg
    20160904_200439_resized.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 20160904_200451_resized.jpg
    20160904_200451_resized.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 250

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Hello AusDave ,
Thanks for answering.
I have solved part of the problem, was a faulty wiring in the neutral start relay,
I think the previous owner installed reversing switches on the joystick (attached photos) and the electrical connections of reversing the neutral had properly connected to the relay start .
Backhoe work well , and 4 to 1, the problem is mechanical , I removed the two solenoids and continues to open itself, when the engine is running.Maybe either dirt or a broken spring
regards

Hi Pricos.

I think the problem with the 4 in one is still electrical. Are you sure you have removed the solenoids? I think you may be referring to the relays?
I'm fairly sure the solenoids for the auxiliary hydraulics which supply the 4 in 1 bucket operation are part of the loader valve under the floor. You would need to see if one of the solenoids there are getting power when they shouldn't. I think that you have a wiring problem and need to trace and check the wires from the auxiliary switches, (on the panel and on the joystick), all the way through the system. I think you will then find your problem. Seeing some non yellow wires in the photos makes me think someone before you has been messing with the wiring after having an electrical problem.

Regards AusDave

pricos

Hi AusDave .
The problem is mechanical. the loader valve ( HUSCO ) is wrong.
Solenoids removed, with the engine running: loader opens itself .
If I power the joystick ( R.H. ) , to raise the charger: loader opens itself .
If I power the joystick ( R.H. ) , to turn the charger: loader opens itself .
The loader valve is connected internally.
I asked to jcb for the valve replacement or repair , but not parts, for this.
The solution: independent valve for the 4 in 1 bucket , with a parallel hidrahulic circuit and plug the old valve , leaving it disconnected.

regards

Rx7Shane

Occupation
sregs llc
Hi finally got the 208 last week, I have been busy and did not have a chance to get on the forum. So far I changed the filters and a few other things. The machine works great so far, I have not did much with it thou. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

jayrowe

Freewheel JCB 208

Hello, I am going to look at a JCB 208 for sale that has a blown engine. Is there any hydraulic neutral or disconnect that would enable me to freewheel it to load it on a trailer?
Thanks!!!

AussieChris

Hello Jayrowe,

According to the owners manual, you can tow (drag) a disabled machine up to 20m (65ft) at no more than 1kph (0.6mph). I say drag because the brakes will be locked on.

To do it properly is a bit of job and it might be easier to get a crane to lift it onto the trailer. The following is for machines serial number from 751012...

1. Chock the wheels.
2. Remove the floor plates to access the hydrostatic pumps (you may be better to remove the inspection cover from underneath).
3. Under the pump(s) there are four by-pass plungers that should be pushed in. This will open valves to allow oil to flow through the pump when the wheels turn. (The plungers will reset when the engine is next started)
4. Remove the hydraulic motor covers (the boxes on either side of the machine).
5. Unscrew the plug in the center of the brake cover.
6. Manufacture two pullers from steel bar and M12 (12mm metric) bolts. I told you it wouldn't be easy!
7. Attach the puller screwing the bolt into the brake pressure disk and turn one more turn to release the brake.
In my opinion, you could just remove the brake covers (and the large spring washer underneath) and the brakes would be released.

Let me know if you want to go this route and I'll post the two pages from the manual. If you can get your trailer close enough you could just drag the machine (with a winch or excavator).

Hope that helps.
Chris.

AussieChris

Just found some info for earlier machines (up to serial number 751011)

1. Chock the wheels.
2. Remove the floor plates to access the hydrostatic pumps.
3. On either side of the pumps there are two relief valves (internal hex, 4 in total). Loosen each valve by no more than 4 turns.
4. Then you have to use a hydraulic hand pump to pressurize the brake circuit to 12 bar (174psi). You have to locate a T-connector and disconnect and cap off a hose before doing so.

Again it's a lot of trouble.

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Hello, I am going to look at a JCB 208 for sale that has a blown engine. Is there any hydraulic neutral or disconnect that would enable me to freewheel it to load it on a trailer?
Thanks!!!

As AussieChris has said it's a pain to set up the machine to tow onto a trailer or truck. When the timing belt failed in one of my machines I dragged it onto the back of the truck up the ramps which I lined with tin and greased with waste vegetable oil. I have a crane on the truck and it quite easily pulled the 1CX up quite steep ramps. You could use a decent winch or come along to do what my crane did.
Just be sure to keep the ramps nice and level so your machine doesn't slide off sideways.

AusDave

jayrowe

Thanks for the responses! It sounds like it might be easiest (and quickest) to just pull it on a trailer with a winch and use some sort of grease to make it slide easy. I'm going to look at it today and make a decision.
Thanks again.

AussieChris

Keep us posted about how the move goes and also about what you find when you tear into the engine. That's if you end up buying it of course. And talk to AusDave if it is the Peugeot engine. It might have had a timing belt failure and he knows all about what's likely to be involved.

Chris.

Terry Cook

Leg room on a 1CX

Is anyone able to comment on the amount of leg room for the operator? I am 195 cm and the images i have seen on the net make me think things will be a bit cramped. Thanks in advance.

AussieChris

Hello Terry,

Yes, at 195cm you will find the 1CX pretty cramped for leg room compared to a full sized hoe. You could head down to CEA at 103 Axis Place, Larapinta and sit in a new one. They always have one or two out in the yard and the new tracked model is worth a curious look too.

Beware though, the new series 2 machines (like at CEA) generally have servo controls which means there are no excavator control levers coming out of the rear floor. If you are buying an older machine then those controls reduce the leg room even more.

I find my machine is not too cramped but I'm only a short arse (175cm). I also have the low canopy height option (100mm lower than normal) and it's fine for me but you would want the normal height.

Having said all that, you can't beat the versatility and maneuverability of these little machines. I can get more work done with mine on a heavily wooded block than I ever could with my full sized machine.

Good luck in your quest.

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Is anyone able to comment on the amount of leg room for the operator? I am 195 cm and the images i have seen on the net make me think things will be a bit cramped. Thanks in advance.

Hi Terry.

AussieChris has summed it up pretty well. There's not a lot of room and I'm about the same size as Chris. However it also depends on what you are comparing the 1CX to. Many mini excavator cabs are quite cramped so the 1CX may not seem too bad in comparison. You have a bit of seat adjustment which allows your legs more room and the pilot backhoe models have a bit more legroom.
As Chris says try one for size and you'll know for sure. I notice you're in Brisbane the same as Chris, you may be able to contact him and try his one for size?

And definitely they are a versatile machine. Nothing I've seen can match their capabilities.

AusDave

Terry Cook

Hi Terry.

AussieChris has summed it up pretty well. There's not a lot of room and I'm about the same size as Chris. However it also depends on what you are comparing the 1CX to. Many mini excavator cabs are quite cramped so the 1CX may not seem too bad in comparison. You have a bit of seat adjustment which allows your legs more room and the pilot backhoe models have a bit more legroom.
As Chris says try one for size and you'll know for sure. I notice you're in Brisbane the same as Chris, you may be able to contact him and try his one for size?

And definitely they are a versatile machine. Nothing I've seen can match their capabilities.

AusDave

Thanks Dave.
I suppose that the comparison would be to a 1 tonne excavator. This was small but allowed for leg room in various positions so overall it was comfortable. I noted on one of the reviews that they can be operated whilst the chair is at 45 degrees. this may allow for better comfort.

The only machines I have been able to find are outside of Melbourne so I want to be certain before I fly down to buy one. The machines are late nineteen nineties with around 1000 hrs on them. This doesn't add up to me so I will probably go to see them as a matter of course.

I was talking to a friend about how twenty years ago you would only ever see backhoe loader. I think the 1cx is going to be a welcome addition to the family.

Terry Cook

Hello Terry,

Yes, at 195cm you will find the 1CX pretty cramped for leg room compared to a full sized hoe. You could head down to CEA at 103 Axis Place, Larapinta and sit in a new one. They always have one or two out in the yard and the new tracked model is worth a curious look too.

Beware though, the new series 2 machines (like at CEA) generally have servo controls which means there are no excavator control levers coming out of the rear floor. If you are buying an older machine then those controls reduce the leg room even more.

I find my machine is not too cramped but I'm only a short arse (175cm). I also have the low canopy height option (100mm lower than normal) and it's fine for me but you would want the normal height.

Having said all that, you can't beat the versatility and maneuverability of these little machines. I can get more work done with mine on a heavily wooded block than I ever could with my full sized machine.

Good luck in your quest.

Thanks Chris. What vintage is your machine? The one I am looking at is a 1998 model. I'll go down and check out the new one though just to check the size and have something to salivate over.