• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 1550 Value help.

68Chevelle327

Judging by the pictures below, can anyone tell me what the value is on this unit? rough idea? 4000 hours 4x4. Runs good and hydraulics were "just rebuilt".

Also, I can't locate another 1550 with this style of outriggers. Is this something that was special order back then? Thanks.

00g0g_eOmuQ4J6mAFz_0bC0fu_600x450.jpg 00101_fKpHOghO7o0z_0kE0fu_600x450.jpg 00u0u_5xI7lGK0XCvz_0x20oM_600x450.jpg 00Z0Z_b3yhQGA3xsHz_0kE0fu_600x450.jpg

Tinkerer

It is impossible for me to put a value on anything sight unseen. There are just too many variables to consider when putting a value on a piece of equipment.
It is very important if you have a dealer nearby that can get parts for that JCB. It looks like it will need some.
The side shift backhoe is quite common on JCB's. I would not want one because of the stabilizers on it.
They are a nuisance it they are used around trees and rocks.

68Chevelle327

It is impossible for me to put a value on anything sight unseen. There are just too many variables to consider when putting a value on a piece of equipment.
It is very important if you have a dealer nearby that can get parts for that JCB. It looks like it will need some.
The side shift backhoe is quite common on JCB's. I would not want one because of the stabilizers on it.
They are a nuisance it they are used around trees and rocks.

I get that I was looking for an idea or a range in price. I guess I was curious if anyone would pay 20k or 15k or no more than 15k if everything met their expectations.

Delmer

pretty hard to find much of a backhoe for under $10K these days, but that looks a little rough, JCB has terrible resale in the US, "rebuilt" hydraulics could be a minefield.

I'd find recent sales of Ford, NH, Terex, MF, whatever that's not Cat, Case or Deere, and compare those conditions and price.

skata

That sideshift backhoe is not common in the usa. Very common in other parts of the world though.
But that machine is very old. I would not be paying 15 to 20 for that. You could get a lot newer machine for the money.

68Chevelle327

That sideshift backhoe is not common in the usa. Very common in other parts of the world though.
But that machine is very old. I would not be paying 15 to 20 for that. You could get a lot newer machine for the money.

yea, they want 18k and I'm like I don't feel comfortable paying that for something this old, but I also need a machine to start working on my property for building and having a hard time trying to find something. I guess I wanted to see what everyone else thoughts were.

Delmer

I checked bigiron, just because it's easier to search. Similar age/condition Cases SOLD $6-16K most 2wd and standard hoe, three Super L's 4x4 extendahoe were 20,24 and $27. problem is that's a time span, and span of states that you're not going to be able to ship from, especially if you want it NOW. If you want it now and close, you're not likely to find a deal.

berky

That old of a machine, and being a JCB (no disrespect) probably only 10K-12K. I would spend the money on something newer or with better parts availability.

68Chevelle327

Well I have never seen a 4x4 for 10 to 12k local or in auctions (unless major problems) but I have an idea what to do.. I guess I'll let him sit on it and see what happens after a while..

I been watching equipment facts and proxibid for a couple months and after fees and shipping I know its going to cost me over 20k for something I can't even see in person. So its a gamble either way.. Local I have guys asking 12 to 15k for 2wd sometimes 20k..

Delmer

They'll be more deals Feb 22, if not, then Feb 23.

Nothing wrong with a JCB if you can run this one and it all works good. The parts and dealer support is you. Unless you have proven otherwise, assume all parts come by ship from UK, NO DEALER anywhere, and hydraulic hose places will not have the fittings to make a hose. If that can work for you, then I won't argue with it. Lots of people on here with homeowner machines that don't have a great service factor.

JCB is the most common backhoe worldwide, I believe. Parts are available, maybe not local, maybe not now, but they are not an oddball, or greymarket, or orphan machine.

Last edited:

Coytee

Unless you have proven otherwise, assume all parts come by ship from UK, NO DEALER anywhere, and hydraulic hose places will not have the fittings to make a hose.

I think that's simply wrong. I've owned (by happenstance) a 1550B for probably 20 years now. I'm just "Joe Homeowner who has a big toy to play about the property".

One reality, I've had VERY VERY little go wrong with it. What has gone wrong, I've been able to fix myself AND simply call my "local" dealer (7 hours away HA!) and they simply ship my needs to me. Fortunate for me I've not needed an entire boom replaced lol, but I have never had any issue thus far getting anything needed for it.

Dealer parts via phone call & credit card. Hoses with the British Metric fittings, I just go to my hydraulic shop. Rebuild cylinders, I used to take them off & to the shop, now I just do them myself.

My experience for 20+ years is nothing like you describe......nothing.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
This is from many years ago, but JCB is not known much for improvements in engineering. They were one step up from a Fermec. Really oddball electrical system, lots of problems in the 4X4 engagement mechanism. Torque converters that had color matching marks to fit them to the engines and lots of leaking cylinders were profit drivers when I worked for that particular dealer. Drive trains seemed to work fine except for the 4X4 components.

4X4 backhoes in general that are operational and more that about eight years old basement out at between $12K and $15K. Add a cab with AC and all the glass intact and $20K can be pretty common.

skata

This is from many years ago, but JCB is not known much for improvements in engineering. They were one step up from a Fermec. Really oddball electrical system, lots of problems in the 4X4 engagement mechanism. Torque converters that had color matching marks to fit them to the engines and lots of leaking cylinders were profit drivers when I worked for that particular dealer. Drive trains seemed to work fine except for the 4X4 components.

4X4 backhoes in general that are operational and more that about eight years old basement out at between $12K and $15K. Add a cab with AC and all the glass intact and $20K can be pretty common.
That's a little harsh. Jcb must be doing something right, since they're the world's best selling backhoe. You can critique any brand as it ages. But personally I wouldn't buy any brand of backhoe that is that old, unless you like wrenching!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That best selling backhoe is a claim and I've never heard it proved as a fact. I know for a fact that it is far from a major player in the US and as I was a service manager for the dealer those many years ago, that the brand had the most complaints on new machine sales of any of the lines that dealership carried. I will have to say that there weren't many sold and most would have at least one major problem before they got out of the warranty period. I'm only speaking from experience.

skata

That best selling backhoe is a claim and I've never heard it proved as a fact. I know for a fact that it is far from a major player in the US and as I was a service manager for the dealer those many years ago, that the brand had the most complaints on new machine sales of any of the lines that dealership carried. I will have to say that there weren't many sold and most would have at least one major problem before they got out of the warranty period. I'm only speaking from experience.
How long ago are we talking here? ;)

Tinkerer

I think that's simply wrong. I've owned (by happenstance) a 1550B for probably 20 years now. I'm just "Joe Homeowner who has a big toy to play about the property".

One reality, I've had VERY VERY little go wrong with it. What has gone wrong, I've been able to fix myself AND simply call my "local" dealer (7 hours away HA!) and they simply ship my needs to me. Fortunate for me I've not needed an entire boom replaced lol, but I have never had any issue thus far getting anything needed for it.

Dealer parts via phone call & credit card. Hoses with the British Metric fittings, I just go to my hydraulic shop. Rebuild cylinders, I used to take them off & to the shop, now I just do them myself.

My experience for 20+ years is nothing like you describe......nothing.
Bbbbut, how many hours a year do put on it ?