1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Jack stands that will support 15,039 pounds.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by emmett518, May 10, 2021.

1. emmett518

emmett518 Senior Member

If I have to work on my hoe with tires off, is it safe to rely upon the FEL or outriggers to hold the machine up? My gut says no. It's one thing if the unit is on tires, so if either of these two let go, the tires will catch it, so it doesn't crush me. But with tires off, I'd be concerned about crawling underneath.

If this is correct, any leads on reasonably priced jack stands that will support 15,039 pounds? And do I have to put something underneath them to keep them from sinking into the pavement?

Thanks

2. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    I'd crib it with 4x4 laid up log cabin style. Likely there are heavy jack stands to handle the weight, but I get nervous they'll sink a foot into asphalt pavement or gravel & tip over.
    Look for log cabin log culls, or have a portable sawmill make some two flat sided logs. Short rail ties work OK if you can get them.

The subject came up recently on another forum, a shop owner showed some cribs made of 2x4 he uses for tandem axle trucks.

I have a grease pit. I once used 2-1/2" thick Oak planks sawed out by eye & chalk line to cover it when not in use. I upgraded to aluminum panels, so the pit planks get repurposed.

DMiller, Jonas302 and emmett518 like this.
  3. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

You can cut an angle iron piece and strap it to the outrigger cylinders to safety block them, but i would not be pulling all 4 off the rig at the same time anyway. Too many downsides.

aighead, DMiller and Vetech63 like this.
  4. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

It is absolutely not safe to depend on hydraulics to hold a machine up

have a local sawmill cut you some hardwood blocking. We use 4x6 and 6x6s. On concrete we use 25 ton jack stands.

DMiller, CM1995 and Tinkerer like this.
  5. 1466IH

1466IH Senior Member

I usually take a good 1/2" chain and binder and tie the outrigger pads together and then use the same setup and tie the loader frame down to the counter weight or front axle depending on what I am doing. Otc makes very good stands and I always set them on poly crane mats

Tenwheeler likes this.
  6. JLarson

JLarson Senior Member

Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
    Esco has a nice offering of heavy stands.

7. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Unless you are going to use one stand to hold the entire machine up they don't need to be rated 15,039 lbs.
    I have a 5 1/2" thick floor in my shop and I use 6x8 blocks with a 6x8-1/2" steel plate on top of them. Just sayin.

emmett518 likes this.
  8. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Outdoors, if there is any softness to the ground, gravel, thin asphalt, hot asphalt, correct for that. 1 or two layers of plywood bigger than the base of the jack stand or cribbing works.
    Level each if the ground isn't. I use a scrap of lumber laid perpendicular to the fall line at lowest point. Then a log cabin lay of 18" lumber. 4x4 would be nice, 6x6 better.

DMiller likes this.
  9. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

Around here for one-off jobs, a couple of rounds off a thick log cut with a chain saw might be used as jack stands. Roll them into place, stand them up, plenty sturdy. When done, chop into firewood. That is assuming you have logs of that nature laying around where you live.

10. emmett518

emmett518 Senior Member

The Deere tech who changed the seal used a 6 x 6 post to hold up the axle.

DMiller likes this.
  11. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

<takes too many chances.

DMiller, Tinkerer and mg2361 like this.
  12. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    A: He's on a level concrete floor.
    B: He's likely to become an accident statistic.
    On a level concrete floor you still need a base bigger than the top. Pull too hard on a wrench, a 6 x 6 stood on end could tip over.

DMiller likes this.
  13. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    A couple of old truck brake drums and a timber on top.

DMiller likes this.
  14. Bluox

Bluox Senior Member

I'm gonna bet the bucket is setting on the floor.
    Bob

DMiller likes this.
  15. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Probably
    But, if he had the hoist raised for more more room to work. o_O

16. eastroad

eastroad Member

I built four heavy stands at the ready mix company out of a short piece of wide flange I beam about 12” high with a flange width about the same. I cut one foot pieces off the beam and welded a piece of pipe upright between the flanges at each corner to keep them from bending over, and that made a good hand hold at each corner to set them in place. If someone was worried about steel on steel being slippery, they could put a piece of plywood on top. They were the right height to set the spring saddles on when doing a Mack brake job, or to block up a shovel or excavator. Heavy enough that they didn’t wander from the shop either.

17. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Pictures, eastroad, we gotta have pictures !

aighead, Tenwheeler and DMiller like this.
  18. eastroad

eastroad Member

No can do. I left there in 1998.

19. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

:(
    No pictures.
    Shuda tookem with you. ---> The stands.

Tenwheeler likes this.