• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I've got a job for someone.

cw4Bray

I bought a Rohn-ssv/ 110' tower at auction, located in west MN. It weighs 3000. lbs. I'm hoping to disassemble it and move it home. I need someone to pick it up at 60' mark and lay it on its side for me while I unbolt the base, the base is 10' wide What type of equipment do I need, to safely lower my radio tower ? What could I get by with ? How much is it going to cost, located 30 minutes travel time from nowhere ? Obstacles include wires 107' from the tower base. A government building less than 15' from tower base. (No joking you guys)
20181104_121806.jpg 20181104_121944.jpg . What type of equipment do I need, to safely lower my radio tower ? What could I get by with ? How much is it going to cost, located 30 minutes travel time from nowhere ? Obstacles include wires 107' from the tower base. A government building less than 15' from tower base. (No joking you guys)

Wes J

The way I've seen it done is with a jib that attaches directly to the tower and allows you to lift each section and lower it to the ground. You don't want to set the thing down in one piece. Most likely it cannot support its own weight when held by the middle.

crane operator

The clamp on jib's only work well on the straight mast tower's with guy cables. This is a tapered tower, so when you lower upper sections down, they would get hung up in the lower wider portions, unless you have another line on them pulling them away.

This tower is pretty short, you will be able to lay it down in one piece.

Find yourself someone with a crane with 100' of stick or so. Rig onto it about 70-80' up or so. A lot of times I have them jack the tower off the anchor bolts once I have the top held, you can only rig on two sides if your not above the tower so they hang crooked, can be a pain to get off the bolts. Jack each leg and slide a board under the foot above the anchor bolts.

Have him pick it up, swing 50' off to one side and touch the base down, and he can swing the other way 50' to lay it down. If you need to "tail" it, because of the power lines or something in the way, you can cheat and set the base on the trailer that your going to haul it on, and just drive the base away from the crane slowly as he lets it down.

If you want to PM me a address, I'll look at it overhead on google satellite. The question the crane guy is going to ask is how close he can get to the tower, and where he has room to lay it down at. Can he get up in the grass where you took the picture, or is he going to be down in the parking lot where the pickup is? Parking lot doesn't look to bad because he'd have a nice flat spot to sit, and you'd have room to lay it down? He's going to be setting a little lower than the base down there, you'll need to know how far away that is.

Crane guy is going to charge you travel time both directions, 3-4 hour minimum. Probably $150-$200/hour, depending on how close to the base he can be, what size of cranes he has- and different areas have different rates.

Here's pictures of a 95' tower I did in October. You've got more room to work with. I did it with 80' of main boom. Could have swung jib and been clear over top, but didn't have room.

Second two pics are a cable guyed 100' I also did in october, I picked it all in one piece. They were going to add on another 80' with their clamp on jib after I left.

20181002_085133.jpg 20181002_092520.jpg 20181003_090428.jpg 20181003_091354.jpg

crane operator

Something like this. Crane is setting in blue, orange is the travel path, yellow is the tower on the ground. You'll have to have some blocking, or use your trailer, to support the lower part of the tower as your are dismantling with the crane. i'm assuming you're going to try to get it down to 40' pieces or so.

I couldn't put the picture in the conversation, so I just put it here.

google map tower picture.jpg

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Back while working for Guy F Atkinson 40 years ago we hoisted 110 ft. long 18" octagonal concrete piles onto the barge crane by hooking 10' down from the top and then again at 50' down from the top. A 60' long choker was strung thru a snatch block off the crane hook and hooked to both spots on the pile. The rolling block equalized itself as the load changed angle giving two pick points with equal load. Never cracked one during hoisting and we hoisted hundreds in Long Beach harbor. It could be beneficial to lay one down rigging like this if there is any collapsing concern caused by buckling.