• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I've been fix'n a HOUGH a model HA or H25

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
update on my hough HA

So I guess it's been a while since I've been here; that is mostly because I'm a dad for the first time and at eight months now he's such a joy to us! So my old hough is not first place as far as my time priorities, probably never was though.
I did get some things done since last summer on the hough. The hydraulic filter I retrofited is working great. Replaced a tire (with a typical 16" truck snow tire load range E of course) the old tire had an onimous bulge on the tread.
I experimented with cutting out some of the tread lugs on the replacement tire to get more bite in soil. The best trick to cut the tread I found was using an oscilating cutter. Common types are sold under dremmel or bosch brand names but under my budget I settled on a tool shop from Menards. It works soo slick I plan to post picks of how well it works here soon.
I'll be back ...:usa

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
Hi again, finally ,,, right? I have been way too busy and my hough HA has been busy too. Today I'll be adding a little oil to the hydraulics resevoir, she's getting low enough to draw air now and then especially when cold and cylinders are extended. Back about the time in my postings where I showed pics of the oil filter for the resevoir... I had opt'ed to leave the one-way breather valve out and basically let atmospheric pressure be the case in the resevoir tank. Well it seems to work ok except I had oil spilling out the vent line every time I ran over bumpy ground. So next up, I'll either put the one-way valve in again or rig up a vent line air/oil separator that lets the oil drain back into the resevoir.
Over the past few years my HOUGH HA has done a lot of work. Great lil machine!

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
My young man with old HOUGH iron

0619111649.jpg I love this pic. My boy is always eager to "go see payloader daddy...":)

Last edited:

datsunman

Occupation
mechanic
HOUGH + V-plow vs Snow = FUN!

payloaderplow-001.jpg I had a wild idea... try a v-plow on the Hough HA. A little rigging with straps and an old heavy pallet between the bucket and the plow and I was plowing! I will definitely plan a real steel link up to build for later use. That would be a "bucket off and plow with special link arms in place" design. The plow is made for another vehicle which I use very successfully for plowing up to 14 inch snows at a time. Its two feet tall 8-1/2 ft wide and yet makes piles of snow better than 3 ft. This temporary rig on the Hough was ok for making 2 ft high piles but I'm sure it could do better if the bucket was off and the plow situated closer to the large wheels. :D

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
Very nice! I'm happy to see someone else bringing an old machine back to life. I almost bought a Michigan 12 B that was similar.

61BG

Hey GreenMtnMan, Id go find that 12 Michigan, those were rare when new and that was 30+ years ago!

GreenMtnMan

Occupation
Truck Driver
The 12B was on Ebay a year or two ago, in New York state. I spoke to the seller on the phone, someone else ended up buying it.

!BhjrEWQBmk~$(KGrHqUOKjsErzf!fprwBLJq+ZF7SQ~~_12.jpg

MotoMatt

I just scored this machine today. I believe it's a H-25B, has the fully hydraulic drive train (pump on engine, motor on axle). I still need to get it home, can anyone tell me if this machine will roll once the drive valve is in neutral or is there some other bypass valve? Supposedly it's running and driving, but the battery is dead, just want to be prepared if it doesn't start with a jump.555302_334880426655569_585966210_n.jpg

cmarch112

Most hydrostatic machines will be damaged if they are forced to move that way.

I have a 1960s fully hydraulic drive pay loader, the drive is slipping and will not go up a hill or push into heaps.

dose it take normal hydraulic oil? can I put a thicker oil in to see if it will help get more drive? dose anyone know of a quick fix?

thanks

MotoMatt

I found the tag and got the paint scraped. Looks like I have an H-25 Type G Serial No. 04208
There's some more numbers under the Type G portion of the tag that are 334-202U.
Can anyone tell me what year this was made and/or any other information?
Thanks,
Matt
Picture 011.jpg

MotoMatt

Video of my loader piling snow if anyone is interested. Been having problems with steering box freezing up, two tries of pulling bolt out of side near bottom and heating with a heat gun while pouring fluid in the top. Thought I had all the water out but still stiff when cold. Probably won't be able to get it completely drained until summer. The steering shaft and box is odd in that it has a passage from the center of the wheel down through the shaft and out the bottom of the steering box for a horn wire to run. The horn button and wire are long gone so I suspect that is where the water entered when it sat outside several months before I bought it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilsy2t3KxkY

jacobsdad

H25B manuals. Have operators manual, parts manual and motor manual. Someone can have for cost of shipping. Worked in the fertilizer business and these were loaders of choice. I have pics but unable to put in post (i still listen to 8 track tapes). Let me know. Thanks.

dinsdale

Hi
I Realise this is an old thread but its worth a try.
I have just purchased an Hough H25 and am desperate for some information can you help???