• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Its time to seek some advise......

Vetech63

My effin monitor went out this morning and to type my thoughts overnight would take me hours on this phone. Will update as soon as the wife figures out the computer issue. :confused:

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
After reading all the replies & sorta being in that boat.. but opposite.. I HAD a job for 30 years & decided to walk off.. it just wasn't worth the headaches anymore..
IF your making what u say ur making {no reason not to believe you} THATS a pretty sweet gig.. & u CAN AFFORD your own health insurance.. STAY PUT..
The work will find YOU.. & that customer/boss will be sending u his work for thousands more than your WEEKLY pay check.. {from him}

63 caveman

I'm in almost the same boat. the big difference is my wife has a job with heath insurance that covers us both. I just recently took a 3 month project on (and completed) for a company that wants me to come on full time and has for years. I had the freedom to "moonlight" as much as I wanted as long as the project was going smooth. It's turns out that for me at 56 years old I just didn't have the drive to keep everyone happy just not enough hours in the week.
I guess what I'm trying to say is it would be very difficult to do both and that if you commit to working for them 3 or 4 days out of the week you would not likely keep everybody happy.
For me I have decided to stay on my own (my wife's insurance maybe the biggest reason). Like most here have to say "I't a tough one to make".
Good Luck my friend!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
This might be fraught with problems, but what about an agreement that his shop (you) would continue to service your existing customer base for a year or two or three? And bill it through the office at a rate similar or a little more than what they have been used to.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I will throw this out there, when I was looking at giving up side work, weighed heavy as to the money but my body was telling me getting close to limits. 40 became my magic number to stay on the street and at a dead run where at 38 went to the Utility company where not long after changed career direction as a plant operator. When working as a Contractor I got paid really well but no bene's, that I got from a full time job 8 hours a day, when everything started falling apart(Me physically) insurance was not enough as they declined MOST of my degradation to a life of abusing myself and notified me to contact Work Comp which was BS as you have to make those claims in a limited time frame. At 55 are gonna be lucky to press thru to 65, 67 MAYBE 70 if luck holds out and illness does not set in or the company folds under you, not much time to build a big 401K or arrive at a modest pension, Medicare starts at 65 where even being fully employed most at that age only receive a supplement for the money. 10-12 years does not come too fast but passes at the blink of an eye. If making good coin now stick to it and pigeon hole as much as can hide, at that point everything begins to fall apart bodily(after 62) sell the business to another and bank the money to ride into retirement.

crane operator

If the company that wants to hire you, had the guy you will be replacing working 70 hour weeks, he doesn't want you part time. He wants you to work for a hourly wage rate, all the time for him. If he's doing 12,000 average a month with you now, why go to work for a wage for him?

You're going to get the good work from him anyways, and just not have to do the greasing, oil changes, tire changes, and simple stuff that his other mechanic spent 70 hours a week doing. You'll get the good paying, more involved repairs. I see no reason to want to do all the other stuff.

Most guys avoid having their own business because of the insecurity and they don't know if they can make enough to survive. You've done it. You have the dedicated customers, and have been making it work. Why stop that if you enjoy it? Do you think you will enjoy working for him more than you like doing your own thing? You can buy benefits. Having benefits, won't make you enjoy work.

I see no reason to give up your own business for medical benefits that won't be as good in the future as they are now, and will be more and more paid by the employee. And 70 hour weeks. And babysitting a bunch of other peoples employees, and equipment.

From what I've read of what you do, and what he wants you to do, I don't even know why you are thinking of going to work for him.

If the economy goes south, and you can't continue on your own, then you can look for a job. Until then, I see no reason to stop your current business. Good luck, and I hope whatever you decide works out.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Amen, CrOp.. that sums it up, in a nice clean package..
I'd like to be a fly on the wall when he walks in & says, "Thank You.. BUT No Thank You"..
& depending on what type of boss he is, watch him grovel..
I'll be interested in how he "sweet'ns the pot"..
The thing that eerks me was the, "buy your truck & no moonlighting".. & you know they would put a gps on it 1st thing.. & probably have HIM do it.. lol..

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Amen, CrOp.. that sums it up, in a nice clean package..
I'd like to be a fly on the wall when he walks in & says, "Thank You.. BUT No Thank You"..
& depending on what type of boss he is, watch him grovel..
I'll be interested in how he "sweet'ns the pot"..
The thing that eerks me was the, "buy your truck & no moonlighting".. & you know they would put a gps on it 1st thing.. & probably have HIM do it.. lol..

The fella wanting to be boss KNOWS how much he does, KNOWS how much he pays him now, without the truck he gets no access to burn that extra candle wick and cannot just up and quit when it turns sour and that man KNOWS this. May be an absolutely alright regular guy but IS a shrewd businessman and understands how to check all the appropriate boxes.

I too would be sticking to contracting.

Vetech63

No more talking to the company boss as of yet, just my thoughts the last 2 days.
1. My monitor issue was no power. The wifey turned the monitor off the night before (which she NEVER does) because it came on during the night while she was sleeping and woke her up. NOW BEFORE YOU GUYS START RAGGING ON ME...……….I pushed that dam on button 20 times yesterday morning and NOTHING. She gets here after work and it comes on the first time she pushes it. o_O I am convinced it is some kind of conspiracy against me.:confused::D

I have decided to pretty much just stay where I am( haven't informed the company Pres. yet). In the last 2 years, I have been trying to decrease my workload and spend more time with the family which has been working and not effected my income by a lot. I have summed up the pros and cons below...……...

Pros...
1. I know their equipment already, and the employees.
2. Health insurance.
3. Steady paycheck.
4. I am supposedly in charge of the equipment and what gets done.
5. Possible 40 hour work weeks.
6. No more dealing with insurance companies, state and fed taxes, IRS......etc
7....…….that's about all I can think of at the moment.

Cons....
1. Loss of freedom. I value that HIGHLY. I can take vacations whenever I want, for as long as I want. If I want a 3 day weekend...…….I take one.
2. Possibility of the boss man (president) that would be hiring me..retiring real soon. He has already bought a place In Arizona last year and currently travels between there and Tulsa.
3. The person taking over for the retiring boss is his youngest son. I currently do not deal with him and have no idea about his thought processes. He is a #'s guy, and if workload gets slow, I could be gone if making a high wage.
4. Loss of security. I am NOT wealthy, but I own everything I have outright with the exception of the new service truck I bought last year. Yeah, its costing me $1400.00 a month, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't a big deal.
5. I highly doubt that 40 hours a week for me will work for them...…….It is highly likely that could turn into much more, and I wouldn't be in the position to say no....RIGHT?
6. Less family time, which would contradict my goals the last 2 years.
7. Possibly servicing and repairing numerous pick-up truck and small equipment like plate compactors and such. Not that I care a lot about that, but I am not supposed to be doing that work. It is likely I will because.....again, It would be difficult to say NO being on the payroll.
8. Too many customers I still have depend on me. With the inability to continue for them, that would eat on my consciousness. Yes, a lot will be retiring over the next 5 years, but I CONSTANTLY turn down new work as it is.
9. The company already has a super high turnover in employees...…..not good, but I also don't know a lot of the reasons people leave.
10. ……..and for the GRAND FINALE and the most important of all...…….The job could become mundane for me knowing my nature. Working on the same equipment all the time is what got me started in self employment. Lets face it, for me it gets BORINGGGG after awhile. I left good jobs when I was young because I learned the equipment easily and would be come bored after 2-3 years. When you are self employed, it is ALWAYS something new. A new place I haven't been, new customers I haven't met, new contacts that can work into good jobs and income, and new equipment of differing makes and models with new technology to challenge me. THIS is the biggest reason I LOVE SELF EMPLOYMENT! If I am not constantly challenged, I will lose interest...……...I know myself well.

I believe I will talk to this company boss on Friday. I am going to offer to make up the workload as best I can until they find someone to operate for them in the capacity that was being done before. With the current state of affairs concerning the availability of heavy equipment techs for hire, it is unlikely I will lose any work at this point in time. I will offer to help him hire an individual that will be an asset and not a liability, and someone I can work with as before.

Lastly, I would like to thank ALL of you for your comments. It really helped me focus on WHY I do what I do...…………..as the distraction of the offer was clouding my judgement! I look forward to continueing to offer what assistance I can here, and getting to know everyone here even better!;)

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
FREEDOM - that is the one thing that I would miss the most if I went back to working for someone else. I've busted my butt to build my business and customer base over the past 25+ years. I won't part with that until I retire and sell off my business, with plenty of training time for a new owner. It's more about the quality of my life than the amount of money I make. If I work harder & smarter, I can make as much money as I want to. "Money can't buy you love" or happiness, that's up to you to figure out, so don't base it all on the green.

Consistent money is nice but I can drop whatever I am doing, provided I don't have any pressing contracts going on, and head out of town for some decompression time at most any time I choose to. I can't do that with a boss or employees to look after. And if I did not enjoy what I am doing, I would have gotten out of it many, many years ago.

Life is short so do what makes your life the most enjoyable, whatever that is for you.

DIYDAVE

A Dog offered to help a Wolf get regular feed from his Master. The Wolf listened but saw a bald spot on Dog’s neck where the collar sat. Goodbye said Wolf.

Better starve free than be a fat slave.;)