• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

It's important to know where the stuff above the ground is too...

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
We've had some discussion here recently about calling for utility locates before digging. I read a thread on Pop's crane accident site last night by a guy who raised a crane's boom into some 14 kv wires, and it got me to thinking about a couple of incidents I've been..uh...associated with.

The first one was a loong time ago. It was in my first year as an operator, and I was on a 580 backhoe. I was dressing up an area near a tall pole. I was backdragging with the front bucket, and watching only that. I got too close to a guy wire--the kind that comes off the side of the pole and goes to an anchor in the ground--and my stabilizer (in the fully raised position), caught the wire. It rode along the edge of the stabilizer pad til it snapped free, but in the process it pulled hard enough that it gave the whole pole a pretty good *twang!*. Nothing happened for a few seconds, but the wires at the top of the pole, and for a couple hundred feet either direction, were swinging back and forth like crazy. All of a sudden, there was a big bang, like lightening striking. Two of the wires had come close enough that they arced between them. Fortunatley, we never heard any more about it. Apparently, there was no power outage or anything, but it sure woke me up.

The other occasion was a whole lot uglier. It's fortunate that nobody was hurt. I was operating a highlift when a tri-axle dumptruck showed up with a load of stone. He started to raise the bed to dump, but nowhere near where the material was needed. I stopped him, and pointed to a spot near the bottom of a wooden pedestrian ramp that had been built, and said, "Put it over by the bottom of the ramp."

Now, this was at the edge of about 2 acres of parking lot, and the only pole within 150 feet was next to where I'd told him to dump. I go back to work, and he lines up right under the wires and dumps. I just happened to turn toward the truck and saw this bright flashing going on back by the rear of the truck. "What the heck is going on there?" I wondered.

As it turns out, there was a guy wire running from the one pole to the next one. When he raised the bed, it pushed up on that guy wire, which pulled the poles closer together. As they got closer, the 30,000 volt lines at the top of the poles sagged downward. Once the middle wire touched that guy wire, the circuit was completed, right through the aluminum bed, to the frame, and the axles, to the ground. I'd have thought that all that rubber would have made for better insulation, but it doesn't. He blew all four tires across the back of the truck, and the passenger side front.

About that time, the conductor finally burned through and fell across the top of the truck. By that time it had tripped out the transformer feeding the line, and it was dead. *That* also happened to knock out the power to a 9 story office building at the other end of the parking lot.

And of course, the first words out of the driver's mouth were, "HE told me where to dump!" And my answer to that is, "The very first thing they teach you about driving a dump truck is to look for wires before you raise the bed." (I still wonder if his inattention had anything to do with the fact the the guy had his girlfriend riding with him.)

Everybody in the office building got the rest of the day off. The Fire Department got to take their trucks out of the garage and blow the sirens, and the electric company guys got to do something that wasn't on their schedule. Other than having to make a statement to the general contractor's insurance company, I never heard any more about it.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I had a similar experience to your second account.

I was driving a 10 wheel dump on an oil and chip job spreading chip. There was a guy on my tailgate working the spreader gate, he would signal me when to raise the body.

For those who aren't familiar with oil and chip, an oil distributor truck sprays oil on the road, then we would back over the oil trickling 3/8 stone chip into it. A special spreader gate is fixed to the truck to control flow and spread it evenly. This gate requires a man to operate it who walks alongside the truck while you're backing.

My focus was on the gate operator to be sure he didn't trip and fall under the truck! His duty was to operate the gate, and watch for overhead obstructions, telling me when to raise and lower the body.

Apparently he became too intent on his spreading job, because the truck suddenly came to a stop and wouldn't back any further. I got out on the saddle tank to see what happened and saw 13K wires arcing and smoking on my cab protector. The wire burned off and fell across the hood of my truck. I called the office on the truck radio and through my fire dept. training knew to remain in the truck.

To my horror the old guy on my tailgate came up and grabbed the wire that lay across my hood, it was still smoking! God must have been watching over him that day, he apparently grabbed it during the moment that the breaker tripped, for he threw it on the ground and it arced again! The power was out on one road for this accident. The power company came quickly to make the repair and we were able to complete the job.

I wasn't reprimanded for the event, but sure got a life experience!

Waterchikn

Occupation
Builder, renovations
Its no joke.

Today, while watching the footing contractor dig an addition, he cut through the power lines that fed the whole neighborhood. No sparks or anything..I was surprised as heck. Took the power company half an hour to get there, then 4 hours for them to fix it. They were very uncooperative in our doings (they could have made a splice, but ran a temp line instead) So now that job is out another day or two....I asked the operator why he didn't hand dig around the BRIGHT RED FLAGS. He insisted that he could "feel" the lines and would know when to stop. I have never heard that before. Now he things differently.

One day while pooring a basement floor (yuk) the concrete truck could drive up to the site and dump right over the wall, well, he made it to the wall, and dumped all the concrete, then proceeded to back up and stuck the truck in the mud. After lining up the semi and backhoe to pull him out, he made it back towards the road...then snapped a power line. At least he was smart enough to let go of the wheel and just sit there. What a mess it was.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
He insisted that he could "feel" the lines and would know when to stop. I have never heard that before.

Sure, you can feel them. They make a very recognizable "snap" as they break... :pointhead

I'm not surprised that the power company wouldn't make a splice underground though, (other than in a box or vault). Of the several companies in this area, I've only seen one do that with direct bury cable. The others all insist that they will go bad in a very short time.

I'd be interested in a discussion about what exactly you can "feel" with a backhoe, but I think that calls for its own thread. (Too late tonight though...)

BRL

Without actually seeing this particular case... The reason they don't splice with an injury like that is the wire could be damaged from stretching, and the connections at the ends could also be damaged. The wire has a little play here & there generally. However, without taking the whole wire out & sending it to a lab to be tested, you can't tell if there was damage along the way where you can't see it that could make it dangerous to continue using. So in these cases the whole line gets replaced from connection to connection to be sure.

Now I was chatting with Waterchikn for a bit this evening & got some more details about it. That line was not in a conduit, which I had never heard of before. And the temporary line he mentions was run through various yards, over a fence etc., lying on the ground! What an incredible liability risk that power company is willing to accept! Around here, first off that line would be in conduit (which I believe is the proper standard from the National Electrical Code), and if a temp repair like that was needed around here it would be installed high up, with temp. poles if needed. They must not have the lawyers out there like we have around here. :beatsme

And the operator that can feel that type of stuff. Well, let's be happy nobody got hurt while he learned that lesson the hard way at least. :rolleyes:

Waterchikn

Occupation
Builder, renovations
Here is a pic of where he ripped it in 2. And you can see the "temp" service, I didn't feel they did what they could have.

I kinda pointed out where the wire is now, It goes up over that wooden fence and then down the side of the pool. Crazy.

Attachments

• cutwire.jpg
    cutwire.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 438

Waterchikn

Occupation
Builder, renovations
Here it is going over the fence....let me know what you think of that...it is STILL like that right now, and the power company won't come out till next week..those were some lazy fellas let me tell ya

Attachments

• cutwire2.jpg
    cutwire2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 427

Waterchikn

Occupation
Builder, renovations
And the yellow is where the wire was cut, that board is a "form" for our footer, and the wire is still down there, with no power of course.

Attachments

• cutwire3.jpg
    cutwire3.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 428

Waterchikn

Occupation
Builder, renovations
Here are some more pics of this "safety issue" Tell me what you think of this, keep in mind that the power company did this.
Sorry about all the pics. I have yellow or blue "arrows" showing the line.

Attachments

• downfence.jpg
    downfence.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

Waterchikn

Occupation
Builder, renovations
Here is the one laying on the ground going through a chainlink fence....this one baffles me.

Attachments

• thrufence.jpg
    thrufence.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 399

Waterchikn

Occupation
Builder, renovations
I guess, since I am at it, post the pic of the addition, just a little one, its a "kitchen extension"

Attachments

• addition.jpg
    addition.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 393

544D10

Occupation
Lucas & Mercier Construction Co.
So what you saying is that the Electric Company basically just electrified your fence and everyother metal fence that connects to it. Better hope that never shorts out!!!!