• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IT38H joystick no response

I've got a unit that has a bit of a problem. The unit starts up fine. Absolutely no codes in system even with ET booked up. Lock out switches of any sort are not enabled. Though I have zero control with the joystick. Tilt/raise/lower. All functions will not work. If I have the stick moved to any direction and shut the unit off I can get a brief moment of movement from either the tilt/raise/lower depending on how I have the joystick positioned. Any thoughts or advice?

Vetech63

I would check the lock out solenoid for your pilot controls first. The slight movement you have at shutdown is more than likely a small accumulator charge. Check your fuse panel for blown fuses first.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The pair of them were bought used by some Canadian clowns and imported to do a construction project. Wrong type of machine, wrong application, wrong everything. But they didn't care, at the end of the day the client bought the two machines off them.

Okay so checked all fuses. Good. Getting source voltage. Verified that my lock out switch isnt applied.

When it is applied I get a status on ET saying unidentified failure but still no logged or active codes

Attachments

• 20200325_153259.jpg
    20200325_153259.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7

Nige

IIRC the lockout switch is 3-pin, common/NO/NC. Common should be machine frame ground. Implement control must see open circuit on one switch wire and continuity to ground on the other.

You have a fault. It’s just that the implement control is so old school that ET can’t recognize what it is. So don’t let the fact there are no Codes fool you.

IIRC the lockout switch is 3-pin, common/NO/NC. Common should be machine frame ground. Implement control must see open circuit on one switch wire and continuity to ground on the other.

You have a fault. It’s just that the implement control is so old school that ET can’t recognize what it is. So don’t let the fact there are no Codes fool you.
So if I unplug it and place a jumper I should see something

Nige

So if I unplug it and place a jumper I should see something
No. Have a look at the schematic. The control has to see ground on one wire and open circuit on the other one at the same time. You can’t just jumper the switch.

EDIT: Sorry, this is a newer design than I thought.
The schematic shows the Lockout switch in the "Unlocked (Pilot Activated)" position.
Pin 2 on the switch (wire 168 Green) should have battery power when the key is ON.
Pin 1 (wire M927 Green) should also be powered. This wire goes all the way to the Pilot Shutoff Solenoid and from there to frame ground. Solenoid resistance spec is 33.75 ohms +/- 5%.

Pin 4 (wire 700 Pink) goes to Connector J1, Pin 39 of the ECM. It forms a loop with......
Pin 5 (wire H766 Yellow) goes to the Lift/Tilt Kickout On/Off switch, where it forms a loop back to Connector J1, Pin 70 of the ECM as wire C216-C52 Black.
That whole loop has to be continuous, so check continuity between Pins 39 (700 Pink) and 70 (C216 Black) of connector J1 of the ECM with the machine powered off and the connector unplugged from the ECM.

Both those loops are gonna have to work to get the Pilot system to work.
I bet you haven't looked at the Kickout Switch yet..?

upload_2020-3-30_18-27-49.png
upload_2020-3-30_18-30-3.png

Last edited:
Sorry no I haven't looked at the kick out switch.

So i went to the solenoid and unplugged it. Machine on I see source on pin 1 but I also tested pin 2 and I'm seeing about 12v...

Pin 2 should be the cab ground that goes to cab ground 1 (110)

Nige

And sorry are you mean pin 70 on J1 and pin 39 on J2
Quite right. My bad. Getting my J1's and J2's mixed up.
So i went to the solenoid and unplugged it. Machine on I see source on pin 1 but I also tested pin 2 and I'm seeing about 12v... Pin 2 should be the cab ground that goes to cab ground 1 (110)
Was the 12V you measured with the solenoid valve electrical connector unplugged and was it between Pin 2 and frame ground.?
Try testing for continuity to machine frame ground on Pin 2 (200 Black).
Then if you have any probes that allow you to take measurements in the connectors with them plugged together, try connecting the solenoid valve up to the machine and measure voltage between Pin 2 and machine frame ground with the machine power ON. You should see battery voltage - 24V give or take.

Did you test the solenoid valve coil resistance..?

Last edited:
Yes I tested it with the 2 pin connector undone from the solenoid. Yes between pin 2 and frame ground.

On pin 2 I'm reading .3ohms which should be allowed.

The solenoid tests out at 33.5. With the +- of 5% the least it should be is about 32.06 ohms. So the solenoid appears good

I haven't tested via back probing yet

Nige

That sounds reasonably promising.

Methinks time to check the continuity between Connector J1 Pin 70 and Connector J2 pin 39 with the machine off and the connectors removed from the ECM. you should read zero ohms or close to it.