• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IT14G Fuel problem

Chopper12

Hello there, this is my first post so I hope that I've pushed the right buttons.

I have an old IT14G that has developed a problem within the fuel system. The problem is that after an hours work the engine will shut down due to fuel starvation. What I have found is that the secondary fuel filter is empty but the primary fuel filter (water trap) is still full. I have changed the fuel lift pump and filters, but the problem is still with the machine.

Has anybody got any suggestions please?

Thanks.

Bob/Ont

Hello there, this is my first post so I hope that I've pushed the right buttons.

I have an old IT14G that has developed a problem within the fuel system. The problem is that after an hours work the engine will shut down due to fuel starvation. What I have found is that the secondary fuel filter is empty but the primary fuel filter (water trap) is still full. I have changed the fuel lift pump and filters, but the problem is still with the machine.

Has anybody got any suggestions please?

Thanks.
Post serial # try with fuel cap loose, might be clogged tank vent.
Later Bob

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Check for pinched lines. I would start with fittings on the filter base and the bases themselves. Strip them and make sure ther is no trash in the 90's or the top of the base. The seal on the top of the base almot always expand and you will probaby need a new one.

Chopper12

Thanks for your replies, I,ll check out both suggestions over the next few days. Can anyone tell me what the plunger in the secondary filter is used for please? I am thinking that it used for controlling the flow of fuel into the filter, but I have been wrong before.
Bob, the S/N is 1WN00109.

Thanks again

Bob/Ont

If you mean the plunger under the big round cover on top, some have a priming pump under them.
Will Ned to look at a parts book to be sure?
Later Bob