• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IT 18 F wheel seal

AColeman

I have a 1996? Cat IT 18 F wheel loader and gear oil just started pouring out right behind front wheel. Can anyone point me in the direction to replace this. Thanks

heymccall

#5 is a "duo-cone" seal, which is a metal on metal seal, engaged by Orings (toric rings) behind (the same as found in final drive units on crawlers). They can be done with the special tooling, but the metal is brittle and sharp, and the toric rings are very snug.Screenshot_20191209-201440_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191209-201251_Chrome.jpg

AColeman

Ok cat told me brakes wore out and now hydro fluid is getting pushed into axle. Does this sound right?

heymccall

Entire axle has dedicated oil, but, within the axle are two hydraulically actuated wet brake units. While the brake unit is lubricated with the dedicated axle oil, the brake pistons are activated with hydraulic oil via the brake valve.

The brake pistons are sealed with rubber piston rings. Age and heat cause the brake piston seals to wear out. When the brake piston seals leak, hydraulic oil leaches past and mixes, and adds to, the dedicated axle oil.

This doesn't mean that the brake lining is worn out, but, due to the labor involved, it is common sense, and accepted practice, to replace the brake lining while the unit is disassembled.

partsandservice

You will not know for sure until it's disassembled, but in my experience brake pressure in the axle housing will usually blow the pinion seal before the duo cone seal.