• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

It’s gotta be sumpin’ simple CAT 268B wiring

eastroad

CAT 268B s/n LBA01125
Came in with hydraulic line rusted and leaking -boom down circuit. Corroded probably by battery acid as it leaked right above the battery. Just the one line was corroded and the owner elected to replace it rather than repair it by brazing.
I do not have access to a service manual; jUst a parts manual and the operator’s manual.
Things are a little tight, to put it mildly; I had to unhook both ends of the work tool lines, and to pull them forward I also had to move a couple more lines at the control valve. I didn’t have to do anything with the wiring except to unplug connectors in order to move the harness out of the way to remove and replace the steel tube, but I still managed to get myself in trouble anyway.
I went to fire it up this morning to check for leaks before bolting the cab down, and found that we had a starter circuit problem. The starter engaged as soon as the key was turned to the run position and it stops cranking if the key is turned to start.... I can’t find anyplace the harness is damaged, and I did pay attention to the harness plugs to make sure connector shape, pin count and wire colors matched. If I unplug the starter relay, the starter will not engage, as you would expect. The same for the 12? Pin harness connector in the harness above the hydraulic tank leading to into the cab. I have no apparent damaged pins in the multi-pin connector in the cab harness but that appears to be the easiest place for me to have created a problem. really need a schematic of the start circuit at a minimum, but one for the whole machine would be better. I would be really grateful if someone could scan and e-mail a wiring schematic. E-Mail is oliverdurand@comcast.net.

eastroad

Wow!! Lots of information there. I doownloaded it onto my laptop. Trying to download it onto my iPad so I can take it in to the job tomorrow. I hope that is successful--a lot of fine print, though. Thank you very much.
Odie
\Oliver Durand

eastroad

Well, I thought it would be simple. I studied the wiring schematic that Heymccall linked me to last night and this morning, and then started going over the harnesses to make sure I had not plugged something in wrong. What I did find was a ground wire not connected from the cab harness to the lower frame above the hydraulic tank. A single wire exits the harness and is secured to a stud on the frame. I snipped it instead of fooling with the nut and washer, planning to install a male/female connector to make things easier for the next guy. I simply overlooked fixing this before I attempted to start the machine. Thanks to Heymccall and anyone else that has been following this thread; after all what difference could a simple ground wire make?D8F89981-39CB-4877-B5D5-E41A128E75BD.jpeg

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I had that ground cable corroded on my 287 and it would cause the park brake to pop on while driving. It must have been grounding through the cab mounts until the cab bounced.

eastroad

The single wire is hidden in that bundle. It goes to the same stud as the ground strap. Poor picture, sorry.
Odie