• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ISL Turbo

Old Doug

I replaced the turbo on this engine last summer and last month it started leaking oil comeing out the joints on the tubes in and out of the cooler. I cleaned every thing out and had the computer programed. Now less than 2000 miles its doing it agin. It was leaking the first time thats why i replace it. The truck smokes black under a load.

walkerv

I replaced the turbo on this engine last summer and last month it started leaking oil comeing out the joints on the tubes in and out of the cooler. I cleaned every thing out and had the computer programed. Now less than 2000 miles its doing it agin. It was leaking the first time thats why i replace it. The truck smokes black under a load.
What years cummins is this ? Does it have a crankcase filter set up , emmisions motor, is something plugged on ventilation side of crankcase ?

Old Doug

I think its a 08. I put in a new crank case filter back then i pulled it today and its oily i checked it to make sure it wasnt pluged up and every thing was clear.I talked to a place that is a authorised dealer and he read me a list of things that could be wrong.It said the valve guide seals could cause it.I also found the clip on the egr valve wire had broke and was unpluged

Last edited:

walkerv

Check with Cummins i recently found out there is a maintence free filter available not sure if its for all models but it doesnt have any filter media in it it just looks like some sort of venting mechanism, im considering getting one for 3 petes with isx in them ,one less maintenance item to deal with or keep track of for me not sure if it would help your problem or not .

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Check with Cummins i recently found out there is a maintence free filter available not sure if its for all models but it doesnt have any filter media in it it just looks like some sort of venting mechanism, im considering getting one for 3 petes with isx in them ,one less maintenance item to deal with or keep track of for me not sure if it would help your problem or not .
Yep, no filter, just oil separator baffles. Put one on an ISX last week.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I just changed a plugged looking element on a JD that seemed to be leaking out the crank and dipstick. Interested to know if the baffle kind are as efficient or might be sacrificing turbo impeller life for lack of maintenance?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I just changed a plugged looking element on a JD that seemed to be leaking out the crank and dipstick. Interested to know if the baffle kind are as efficient or might be sacrificing turbo impeller life for lack of maintenance?
Does the Deere recycle the vapor through the intake? The ISX I mentioned separates the oil and still vents to the ground. It's a 2012.

RobertJ

Does the Deere recycle the vapor through the intake? The ISX I mentioned separates the oil and still vents to the ground. It's a 2012.

The smaller Deere engines that use the filter just vent to the ground. The larger Deere engines use the same type of baffle system you mention for the ISX, I can't remember if it vents to ground or back to the intake but I'm pretty sure it vented to ground.

Truck Shop

Any of the Cummins with with crankcase breather will set a code of {high crank case pressure and de-rate}. But if you don't have a new breather at hand, drill about four 1/2"
holes through the plastic breather body and reinstall til a new one can be had. The breather needs to be in place to seal the filter housing. 08 Should be a EGR engine and that
system was problematic. The differential tubes on the EGR are probably plugged with carbon and that causes several different issues. Better take it to Cummins.

Old Doug

I found a wire plug on the egr valve that was unpluged its clip is broken. I wire tied it in and it hasnt had a oil problem after that.