1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Is this shop worth it?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Joshua burhans, Jul 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

And it’s only going to get better wage wise.

DMiller, mg2361 and funwithfuel like this.
  2. check

check Senior Member

Some of these comparisons to long ago are apples to oranges. We have to consider inflation (how much the bankers have robbed us).
    Use an inflation calculator: https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Back when there were a lot of baby boomers in the workforce, it was easier to hire good help. Nowadays, any young man who has the gumption to work in the trades should expect a bit more.

DMiller and mikebramel like this.
  3. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

I always tell people if your in it for the big money your in the wrong line of work So is it worth it to you? Thats the one and only thing that matters, Are there better jobs in your area that will make you happy? 18 is good money here but I wont drive an hour to get there or work away from home. Ive never seen a shop not stay busy either so thats an underlying problem if there is not enough work your not going to get a big raise thats just not how it works

4. Oldcatpusher

Oldcatpusher Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart gas station attendant part time is making 21 or 22 a hour now. Seen the add last week. I almost applied.

5. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    God , I certainly hope so. The people's republic of Illinois just raised our taxes.

DMiller, mg2361 and Vetech63 like this.
  6. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I have a client in Alaska looking for a mechanic right now. Will pay $40 an hour plus room. You get to pay for your own food. If anyone is interested start a conversation with me and I'll send you all I know of the position.

DMiller likes this.
  7. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Well-Known Member

Only problem is it's a bit far from Pennsylvania.

DMiller likes this.
  8. ianjoub

ianjoub Senior Member

Maybe he'll commute it daily for the extra $2/hr :D

9. AzIron

AzIron Senior Member

18 bucks is not terrible I know filter jockeys that make less

A dealer is corporate most corporate outfits adhere to 3 % rules with wages uts stupid but bean counters way of thinking if your getting that much training then your making more than 18 an hour you sound young and still green everyone on this page has been were you are it's kinda a write of passage

My dad and grandfather quote this religiously but look at the experience your gaining no you can't eat experience for dinner but it lays the foundation for what you can do in 5 years what's the ends to the means where do you see yourself in 2 years

Also dont be gung ho to jump in a service truck solo with less than 2 to 3 years experience it could be pretty ugly sometimes and requires out of the box thinking that only experience will teach

CM1995, Paul Council, DMiller and 4 others like this.
  10. check

check Senior Member

Keeping your belly full in parts of Alaska can be quite expensive. In some places there simply isn't much to eat besides Cariboo. One mechanic I know went there to rebuild fishing boat Cat engines and he said Cariboo was the main staple in his diet. He had fried Cariboo, Cariboo stew and Cariboo burgers. sure got tired of it. Some people there order all their food from the lower 48 and have it shipped there. That's pretty pricey and you can forget fresh fruit and vegetables. Forget to order your groceries and fall back on Cariboo. That aside, Alaska is a great state with lots of opportunities.

DMiller and funwithfuel like this.
  11. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Well-Known Member

I'll do it if theres a supplied fighter jet

12. fast_st

fast_st Senior Member

IT systems admin
    It better come with a company fuel card, diesel might be close enough.

13. John C.

John C. Senior Member

The job is by the town of Yakutat. I don't think the caribou make it to that area. I'm pretty sure there is plenty of hunting and fishing one can do there.

check and DMiller like this.
  14. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    My buddy is up there right now.. he loves it.. but then again he's not right in the head..Lol
    IDK if that's the same place.. I'll email him & ask..
    He says all his jobs are "fly-in" or snow machines & u get dropped off for days.. & maybe weeks..
    Depending on the problem & how fast they can get the parts.. & THATS a BIG problem..
    If u watch that show "Live PD".?? it looks like the whole state is nothing but loonatics & drug addicts.!!
    & the girls are "mighty hairy", if u know what I mean.??

DMiller likes this.
  15. thepumpguysc

18.00's not to bad.. as long as they do yearly reviews & u keep getting the .50..
    Its when they start throw'n out the .10 raises, is when u jump ship..
    it doesn't hurt to look around either..
    I know of a lot of companies that MAKE YOU STAY for 1 year after they send u to school.. {signed contract}
    They don't want u taking the knowledge that THEY PAID FOR, some place else..

16. thepumpguysc

JohnC.. Prvt msg sent..

DMiller likes this.
  17. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Wages are still regionally dependent, some Eastern regions are still financially depressed where around here the Average decent mechanic starts at $22/hr and goes up from there. Get more experience and time can work into Contractor positions(No Benefits) for $80-140/hr, but then you are on your own for putting any away and on your own for specialized tooling.
    Old friend of mine still working a Lease Truck shop is only making $27/hr but gets safety equipment and tooling allowances as well is up to six weeks of vacation time and ten paid annual holidays with a employer paid 401K. He is likely to retire next year as arthritis is settling in FAST.

CM1995 and funwithfuel like this.
  18. thepumpguysc

But what frosts my nutz is when u work hard ALL YEAR, do exactly what is asked of u, help others out of jams & yet u get all your work done below allotted time.. & come review time, they offer u nothing or even worse.. a .10 cent raise..
    U wanna talk about a slap in the face.??!!!
    I was told "I make to much money"..at my review.. No sh*t..true story..
    I said, "I didn't say that when I smashed all your goals for the month". Oh, the company is making to much money..I think I should stop working.. Lol..
    I got a dollar raise.. Lol

mikebramel, kshansen, walkerv and 3 others like this.
  19. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic/Technician
    Fishing? I'm all over that:D

DMiller likes this.
  20. John C.

John C. Senior Member

When you reach a status of proficiency, the only way you will get raises is when you have enough leverage to force those raises to come. No one offers more money on their own unless there is no other choice. That is called capitalism.

Over the years I've had plenty of offers to trade labor for fishing trips. Best salmon and halibut fishing in the world is up there and the shell fish is heaven in real butter with home made bread and some wine. While it is great food, it never made a house payment for me.