• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is this a good deal on a 287B?

928G Boy

I'm looking to buy a 287 or 287B in the not so distant future and this one has caught my eye:

http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6122959&GUID=A7AEDDA8DDF644F0BD13D1F6025A2B59

Looks like the set of tracks on this machine are on their last legs, and that's a good amount of hours on it for a 2004, and lots of scratching of the paint, it was obviously worked in a hazardous environment or was operated by clowns. But $14,000 is cheap as heck.

A brand new set of tracks is around $4000, hopefully with a bit of care I can keep those worn out tracks alive for a couple hundred more hours to help pay off the next set.

The only thing is that it's 32 hours of driving away from me so if I were to pick this one up it would be sight unseen... At least it looks rough and hasn't been repainted and all that... Those are the worst machines most of the time.

bonanno23

Occupation
union drainage foreman, also own a full time lands
Those tracks look bad but there is still plenty of life left on them from what I can see. I have 3 287bs and run the tracks down much more than that. I personally think there must be a catch as far as the price is concerned. just seems a little cheap.

As far as the hours, I usually trade mine machines ( track skid loaders ) in when they reach 300hrs.

I also think the $4000.00 price for tracks is a little low. I believe they are more like $3200.00-$3500.00 each.

I would fly in and check it over or send a machanic from a near by dealer to give a once over. 32 hours is a far ride to be disappointed

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Run from that machine!!!!!! The price is waaaay too low, it should be around $30,000 for a 3 1/2 year old machine with 2000+ hours, that's a hefty machine for that price. There is something very, very wrong with it.

928G Boy

thanks for the replies. very educational.

I wish I could test drive it... If I had some $$$ I would go down there, there's a bunch of 287s going in a richie bros auction soon in Flordia, there would be good chance I'd be comin' home with one of them...

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Check out Iron Planet,online services.You might be able to find something closer at still a good price.Good luck.:usa

928G Boy

so I emailed the Case dealer that is selling the 287B and this is what they said when I asked them if there was something messed up with it:

"No sir, the unit is fully operational. The CAT isn’t holding it’s value. This is a good price for this unit."

They've been trying to sell it since October of last year I believe.

JDOFMEMI

Ditto of Constructo's reccomendation of Ironplanet. They do a pretty good inspection of the machines, so even sight unseen, you have some confidence, and a gurrantee of the condition. They will also help set up transportation. I have bought several pieces, and have been happy.
You can check out past sales prices on their site as well. Decent 287 can be had in the low 20K range

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The cat tracked machines prior to the C series are not holding their value. Check IronPlanet and you will see for yourself. The fact that the machine is sitting at the CASE dealer says a lot. It is probably a good price on a machine that is likely no worse than any other used 287B. The price to completely replace the undercarriage seems to be 'round 10-12K according to those who have done it.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
:iagree with ksss. When I was working for a case dealer the owner told the salesman that any trades with a cat tracked skidsteer commin in needed aproval from him. He was scared of that 10 to 12k undercarrige bill from the oversized snowmobile tracks.

icex

Looks pretty good to me, but like you said it definitaly needs new tracks.. If there is nothing mechanicaly wrong with it, then thats a semi-decent price.