• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

is this a decent deal? case backhoe

92b16si

found a cabbed case 580sm 4x4. that seems to be in good shape, but missing motor and trans, for $16,500. wondering if its worth the effort or should i just buy a running one. my budget is 24, 25k tops

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Definitely a "project" purchase. Can you replace the engine/trans for $8-10K? Secondly, what about all the bracketry and miscellaneous pieces that are missing? I'd want to have an extensive knowledge about that before committing!!! Post pics if you decide to do it. Will be a great project to follow!!!!

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
My question is why would you take an engine-trans out of a good machine. If the engine -trans bad ,why take it out unless you are going to replace it. If rest of the machine is bad and engine -trans good ,take it out and sell it?

92b16si

i believe thats what happened , was stolen for the motor and trans.was bought from the repo place. machine looks almost new from the outside. just wondering average price for motor and trans. my brother will be seeing the machine during the week

92b16si

anyone have a clue where i could source a used motor and trans to put numbers together

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
with a 25k budget I bet you can find something running and in just the same condition as that one

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
run away from it,,, if it needs a motor and trans why is it all put back together looking like it is ready to work ???

Welder Dave

I think someone is feeding you a line. That machine looks to have a lot of use and by no means looks like new. I'd guess the engine and trans needed work and it was either too much to fix or was fixed and the owner didn't want to pay so the shop kept it. My former neighbor left a rebuilt engine at a shop because he thought they were charging too much. I think the way it sits, it's not even worth 10K.

The Peej

If those phone photos are the machine you are talking about what is holding up the exhaust pipe ???
I thought the engine was missing.

Great point I bet its a miscommunication. The machine won't run and they believe it needs a motor and or transmission. could be a good buy if you do the work your self

Tinkerer

One other strange thing in the photos is, why are there blocks of wood behind the rear tires.
Maybe they don't know how or cannot unlock the boom and lower it.
Certainly the parking brake must be nonfunctional.

DualsportWA

If those phone photos are the machine you are talking about what is holding up the exhaust pipe ???
I thought the engine was missing.

If it’s like my 580K, the exhaust pipe is attached to the hood, closes down on the muffler when you shut the hood :)

Shimmy1

One other strange thing in the photos is, why are there blocks of wood behind the rear tires.
Maybe they don't know how or cannot unlock the boom and lower it.
Certainly the parking brake must be nonfunctional.
If I had a backhoe that was missing the engine/trans, and periodically needed to move it, I would most certainly have the boom locked up. :)