• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is there really a difference?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I'm more of a driver than a fixer. I mean I can fix it if I know what the problem is, but my diagnostic skills are pretty low. My brother has a little 28HP tractor with a loader bucket and a back hoe attachment as well as a few other goodies. He always depended on my father to look after his stuff as he is more of an office guy. He over heated his tractor about 4 weeks ago doing some work with a bush hog. I was up to do a bit of work to his utv, which sadly sees very little maintance. I asked about the tractor as it was parked in an odd spot , and he told me what had happened, and that no one would come look at it, and he would have to have it moved to a shop. I said I would take a look. I loosened the drain plug, and no coolant in the base, just really black oil. The issue, something had knocked the belt off, so I put it back on. Topped up the rad, might have taken a liter. Did it quit on you, no just was steaming really bad so shut it down. Fired it up, and let the thermostat open, topped up the rad a bit more, and Bob's your uncle. No smoke, no leaks, and no taps. I said perhaps you should look at the gauges once and a while, might no be such an easy fix next time. Anyway I asked him when he had last changed the oil, and he said our father had done it. Been dead for 12 years. Anyway. Is there a real difference between 15 40 I put in my half ton (well 5 20 now) and the 15 40 I use in my grader, or his tractor?

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Nope 15W 40 is just 15W 40, wait 5W 20 in a half ton truck, what are you driving, what engine does it have?

skyking1

Stay with what the manufacturer asks for. Long story short I changed viscosity on a car once, and was treated with tappy lifters until about 2000 miles after I apologized to it and changed it back.

hosspuller

Stay with what the manufacturer asks for. Long story short I changed viscosity on a car once, and was treated with tappy lifters until about 2000 miles after I apologized to it and changed it back.
Me too ... plus a $1600 sacrifice for new timing belt, seal, & cogs. Some engines are just particularly vindictive.

Cutting edge ...The 15w 40 oil for the diesel tractor should be labeled Ck-4, CJ-4, CI-4, etc... The important letter is C. “C” category oils have been formulated primarily for diesel engines. There is a new diesel oil designation "FA-4" but that's for 2017 diesels... and your brothers engine is at least 12 years old.

For full explanation: https://www.api.org/-/media/Files/Certification/Engine-Oil-Diesel/Publications/Motor Oil Guide 1020.pdf#:~:text=API Service Category FA-4 describes certain XW-30 oils,than 15 ppm, refer to engine manufacturer recommendations.

Delmer

Non detergent straight 40 would be better than what came out. And if I had some sitting around, that's what I'd use, because I'd be changing the oil again in 20-40 hours, or a month.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Me too ... plus a $1600 sacrifice for new timing belt, seal, & cogs. Some engines are just particularly vindictive.

Cutting edge ...The 15w 40 oil for the diesel tractor should be labeled Ck-4, CJ-4, CI-4, etc... The important letter is C. “C” category oils have been formulated primarily for diesel engines. There is a new diesel oil designation "FA-4" but that's for 2017 diesels... and your brothers engine is at least 12 years old.

For full explanation: https://www.api.org/-/media/Files/Certification/Engine-Oil-Diesel/Publications/Motor Oil Guide 1020.pdf#:~:text=API Service Category FA-4 describes certain XW-30 oils,than 15 ppm, refer to engine manufacturer recommendations.
That is the question. I have always wondered if what I run at work in a diesel is really different than what I ran in my older trucks, or if it is a marketing thing. They have a seacan at work in the shop yard full of cases of oil, grease, ATF pails of hydraulic, and different weight oils. Then the special section for cat. I always grab the 15 40 for everything, unless it's a cat, and then I just ask the stock man what do they want in the 980 for oil.

hosspuller

That is the question. I have always wondered if what I run at work in a diesel is really different than what I ran in my older trucks, or if it is a marketing thing. ....l.

Brand names are marketing hype... Rotella plus ... Delvac super... etc. the API doughnut is a specification enforced by sampling & testing

Way to check in the sea can, is look for the API "doughnut" on the labels. Some "multi performance levels" oils will work in diesel AND gasoline engines at some level... not necessarily "SP" the highest, most current gasoline level unless so marked

API explains multi performance levels as follows
"Oils designed for diesel engine service might also meet gasoline engine service. For these oils the designation is “C” category first followed by the “S” category. “C” category oils have been formulated primarily for diesel engines and may not provide all of the performance requirements consistent with vehicle manufacturers’ recommendations for gasoline fueled engines."