• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is my lawn mower "ag euipment?"

TheOldMan

Occupation
retired
This may not be the right place, but it's worth a try. Kohler K301 12 hp on my gravely mower - no spark. Sometimes I can make it run for a few minutes, but not often. Points look good, new condensor, coil primary resistance 3.5 ohms, secondary 6.9K. Battery up to snuff. Plug gapped ok.
I can rotate crank to open points position, with the condensor removed from ground, and use a jumper to ground from the condensor case, when popping the ground jumper, should get good spark across plug - nothing. Reinstall condensor, close points, switch on, and pop the points opem with a screw driver, might get one or two good sparks then nil. Is this a bad coil? Any suggestions?

TheOldMan

Occupation
retired
Replacing the lead from the points to the coil/condensor seems to have fixed the problem. Couldn't find anything wrong with the old lead, but I'm happy that it's running.

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
Don't know if it's appropriate to say this here but try the " Tractorbynet forum " . They have a forum for gravely's . Good luck.

TozziWelding

Occupation
Welder/Equipment Repair
My old Gravely with the 12horse Kohler likes to foul the points. I just pull the cover and give em a quick file and she is ready to work again. I am giving her a full service before I till this season.