• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is an International S1900 too old or too weak for a Toterhome project?

DirtIsMyName

I am looking at a 1987 S1954 18' box truck. It has a DT466 and a seven speed trans with 4.44 gears and single axle, 31K GVW, air brakes. It's a one owner truck with 320K miles. This is probably not the truck I really want but I have to start somewhere and this one is here in town, pretty cheap, and doesn't look too bad.

What I am working towards in a truck is a Toterhome. I want to pull a 24 foot or larger enclosed trailer to motorcycle events. I would also like to use it to tow my 580L backhoe on a 24K pound backhoe trailer, 5K pounds empty.

I don't like to spend a lot of money on something and then decide it is not really what I want. That is the motivation behind cheaping out on this. If this isn't really what I want I'll know enough after this to buy or build what I do want next time.

I am guessing the truck would pull the backhoe OK with no other load but if I put RV stuff in the box for the Toterhome part of the package it might dog it out. I want to run it at hiway speed and don't think the gearing is right for the road. Not sure it has the guts to pull the load and higher gearing.

One concern is the age. Can I get parts to keep it running and if it broke out on the road would I have a long wait for parts to get going again?

Would gearing for an economical 70mph be possible and could it be done with a transmission swap or would I need to change rear end gearing? It looks like there are a lot cheap 13 speeds out there, is is a feasible swap?

Is it reasonable to install a sleeper kit conversion to make a pass through to the box from the cab?

They want $2500 for the truck and I'm told that is too much, what do you think? The truck has probably never seen salt so rust is not a big issue.

If it doesn't work out is there any market for the truck or parts from it?

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I bought about the same truck and turned it into a gooseneck hauler. I was real disappointed in the power. The truck was a great running truck, but it wouldnt pull my backhoe, like it needed to be. It was always under a strain, just not enough power and I live in the flatlands.
Changing rear ratios and trannys, can be very costly
This is just my experience,
The price you quoted he wanted for it, is about average, but Im sure it doesnt have A/C, so if you need A/C, thats will cost you another $2000
If you can find a truck, with a L10 Cummins or Big cam Cummins, they will probrably do what you are looking for
Good Luck

DirtIsMyName

Thanks, there's no substitute for first hand experience. I meant to mention the A/C, you are right, no air.

What you are saying makes perfect sense too. If I had to constantly run the dog snot out of this thing, the whole time I would be be thinking I should have bought a big rig. I have always felt at home in a 379.

Komatsu 150

With the right gearing the DT466 will do all of that and more - just not very fast. I imagine a 7 speed is not right for pulling much weight but have no experience with one. Was not the primary choice but our tandem with DT and 8LL has pulled our 150 around town often - about 65000 lbs. gross. But like I said rather leisurely.

DirtIsMyName

I called the guy and told him I had talked to truck people who told me I need a bigger truck. I was told the salvage value of that truck is probably only about $1200-$1500 dollars. People also told me it is too old to have any value as a work truck. So I told him I like the truck anyway and would like to have it to use, not to scrap. Told him that if he doesn't find a buyer to call me before he scraps it and I will beat the scrap price.

Yesterday a new local ad showed up for a super cheap travel trailer that could be a donor for RV parts.

I was looking at a site that shows how to turn up the fuel on that engine. They are saying you can make a lot more power with that engine as long as you watch the temperatures and don't melt it down. Sounds like fun. I've also heard of using a propane boost to get up big hills.

A couple hundred miles up the road there is a salvage yard selling roadrangers for $500.

I still have the bug.

But then another guy was telling me if I am going to keep the backhoe that I NEED a dumptruck. He said it is like having a right and left hand. Looking at what is on my little utility trailer right now I can see the value of the dump truck.

nevrenufhp

The big problem I'd see with adding power to a low powered older 466, is no intercooler. It's going to get pretty hot pretty quick.