• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Internet auctions

frankie

NOW THAT RITCHIE BROS OWNS MOST EQUIP AUCTIONS AND DRAW BIDDING FROM EVERY CORNER OF THE WORLD, YOU MIGHT AS WELL GO TO NEAREST DEALER TO BUY. PRICES ARE AS MUCH AS DEALERS AND SOME DEALERS STAND BEHIND THE SALE.
AS IS WHERE IS AT AUCTIONS

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
Auction sites over here are getting really good at vague descriptions and then small print to indemnify themselves, the most recent is this little gem
"run and drive" this is a yes and no tick box on the listing, when you click the small print it states under the yes box that the machine started and moved forward under its own power. BUT this is guarantee or warranty that it will do either at time of collection, so basically you're screwed if you get there and it doesn't start or move.
In the current climate of restriction on movement I really do believe governments need to get involved to force these company's to list honestly with no caveats and take honest pictures of any damage leaks etc, i don't understand why they don't anyway as it would give buyers more confidence and probably drive prices higher given you know the truth and if its not as listed you can throw it back at them.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
For heavy equipment in the states, no seller is required to disclose what is wrong with a machine. "Let the buyer beware." Plausible deniability is the the normal course of business when it comes to something used.

Welder Dave

Better to play dumb and not say much because if you say the wrong thing someone will try to sue you for misrepresenting the machine. There are a lot of unscrupulous sellers (and auctions) that don't care if people get ripped off buying worn out junk. I don't think auctions would be feasible if the auction company had to have independent inspectors come in and verify the condition of every machine. It's best to have your own inspector take a look before buying. That's one of the reasons sometimes it's better to buy from a dealer. People buying stuff online without ever seeing it in person are taking a real gamble unless there is a warranty or guarantee.

fastline

Just my experiences for the day. Looking for a couple machines. Main issue with ANY auction, at least for me, pretty much nothing is local. This brings a HUGE time waster because you waste the time/fuel/etc to go "look", waste time figuring things out, then, as always, the price shoots WAY over the moon. Like thousands over good retail. Do people not realize auction equipment is being sold for a reason?

The reality is as long as there is an idiot willing to pay too much, sellers will continue with it. It doesn't hurt them one bit!

As is the case with one machine today, the listing both noted and pictures show active cylinder leaks, grease and oil all over, etc. Contact seller and he tells me they recently put a new UC under it and there is nothing leaking!!!! What do you do with that? I was going to drive the 3hrs to go see it, then reminded myself that everything sells for too much anyway. Bid like it needs repair and prepare to lose. If I go look, it will still sell too high.

It sold for pretty much exactly what retail might bring. BUT, people say "go to a dealer".... The dealer will charge probably another 10-20K for that same machine but give you a "warranty"! lol Yes they pad things up for that warranty and it is rarely much of one. 100hr/30day warranty? IDK, I have never bought from a dealer.

All I know is we need an excavator bad and I cannot seem to find anything that is even close to a "deal".... People think I want something for nothing, but the reality is people sell for a reason! Usually around 10K hrs, knowing the pumps are close to death.

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
If you want a mini-ex, the rental houses usually turn them over at about 2,000 hours or so. A nearby Kubota dealer was selling a 5 ton mini rental with 80 hours for a really good price, this was about 18 months ago. I was really tempted but my local Kubota dealer wasn't exactly close to me. Different situation for the large hoes based on my auction observations, those usually have thousands of hours.