• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

International TD-20 Cummins conversion

J Bod

Hey guys, I have an older International TD-20 with a bad engine. The rest of the cat is in very good shape. The engine in this dozer is a D-691 and it is beyond rebuilding. I also have an older Mack truck with a good 220 Cummins engine. I am wondering how difficult it would be to install the Cummins engine into this old cat.

Txhayseed

Do you know what bellhousings both motors have ? I would think that would be the starting point. If you could get the right bellhousing for the cummins to allow you to mount the dozers workings to it. Also isnt the 220 from around the mid 60s ? I mean if you had it and was running good thats a plus but thats got to classic era engine. Have you checked on parts availability if the need where to arise? I think if you sorted out the bell housing/ flywheel issue the rest would be doable. Motor mounts and plumbing would all have to most likely fabricated after the motor was fitted. If i had and option id look for a 12 valve since they have been fitted it tons or machines and industrial applications over the years the likely hood of getting it mated to your running gear is more likely. But again im not up to speed on on the 220 and what the ass end of the motor is like. Maybe someone else will be more up to speed on been around longer than me who knows the things.

Last edited:

J Bod

From what I have found online, the D-691 has an SAE-0 bell housing. I am not sure on the cummins bell housing. So the 220 cummins was rebuilt and has been sitting for a while. I have started and ran it and it is very strong. As for using a 12 v Cummins, I'm not sure it would hold up to the demands of a 15 ton machine. I will check on the availability of parts for the 220. No point in putting in an engine that you cant get parts for. Thanks

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You are going to need a year of manufacture of the machine in order to be able to figure out anything. Do you have a serial number. I'm not familiar with the D691 engine. All the TD20 machines I worked on had a V8 I think was called the V800. Does your machine have a torque converter or is it direct drive with a clutch?

Welder Dave

I was in the JD dealer years ago and an MF 600 (Hanomag) track loader was getting the undercarriage all converted to JD. The engine had been changed to a Mack. Somebody spent a bunch of money on that machine but it looked in really good shape. I remember seeing an MF 600 sell for cheap at an RB auction because it had an engine knock. Wonder if it was the same machine? If I recall it sold for $6000 so putting some money into it may have been worthwhile. It's about a 2 1/4yd bucket and looks similar to a JD 755 loader but a little bigger.

J Bod

You are going to need a year of manufacture of the machine in order to be able to figure out anything. Do you have a serial number. I'm not familiar with the D691 engine. All the TD20 machines I worked on had a V8 I think was called the V800. Does your machine have a torque converter or is it direct drive with a clutch?

J Bod

It is a 1960 International TD-20. The D691 is the early non-turbo engine that they put in the first generation TD-20's.

J Bod

It does not have a torque converter. It is a direct drive with a clutch.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Now you are talking about and engineering adventure. Those old engine turned pretty slow and worked on torque. An engine built today is going to be high speed so now you are talking about matching transmission speeds and possible torque loads to go with trying to find the right bell housing, flywheel to crankshaft connections and clutch connections. I think you will likely have to tear the old motor down just to figure out what you are looking.
Keep us informed.