• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

International Dresser 530 transmission

FWD

I have had this 530 loader for about 10 years and it has been a good loader with a few minor problems that were easily corrected until this problem.
During the summer months I use it usually just to load a 10 yd truck with gravel. Occasionally I use it to run gravel through a grizzly and stockpile the gravel. On this job I'll run it steadily for at least 4 hours at a time. This summer when I would start it and move it in 1st gear forward it would move fine, go into the bank and load the bucket then go to back up and no power in reverse. After leaving the transmission in reverse with engine running it would eventually move and have good power both directions. As the loader warmed up it would work better finally to the point of just being a little slow going into reverse but once in it had plenty of power. As it progressed into fall and the days became colder the problem got worse. If I used it on the Grizzly steady it got to the point of being okay, but if I was gone for 45 minutes or so with the truck, then put 3 or 4 buckets in the truck and be gone again it never really did get so it worked real good.
Was wondering what to look for? I thought about pulling the control valve and looking at the O rings or what else in the valve bank.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
FWD

zlssefi

first things first. This sounds too simple, but did you check your transmission oil when hot and idling in park? also check/ replace all transmission filters and strainers as any restriction in flow will cause the clutch packs to not engage properly. check those things and report back!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
This sounds like a suction leak on the transmission pump to me. I don't recall where the suction strainer for the pump is on these machine but I'd guess its in the bottom of the drop box on the transmission. International/Dresser liked putting a coupler of big junction hoses in the suction line from the transmission to the pump. I'd probably start by draining the transmission and pulling the strainer out looking for brass and steel particles. If those are clean I'd work my way up the suction line and replace the junction hoses and their hose clamps.

If this doesn't solve the problem you will need to plumb in some gauges and watch what happens when the machine is being worked. That will give you a better idea of what is going with the transmission control system.

Good Luck!

FWD

I did drain the oil out of the transmission and cleaned the screen strainers. There were some fine metal filings and no brass. The paper filter element was clean. I put new oil (Hydraulic Transmission oil) back in. I started it and moved it a few feet but not enough to really tell much. I'll have to check the suction line. I have to move another machine out of the way so I can get this one out and try it a little. I have things kind of stuffed in for the winter.
Thanks for the help!
FWD

bwmwaima

Another possibilty for suction leak is the shaft seal on the transmission pump, have had the same problems described above on my own 530 and turned out to be pump shaft seal.

FWD

I checked the suction hose and everything looked okay. I ran it some today and to my surprise it worked pretty good. Still a little slow going into reverse, but really not that bad. If there really was a suction leak, wouldn't it have problems going into forward too? The only problem I'm having is going into reverse. Today, even though it seemed better, when you put it in reverse from forward it would start to move and then, after a few seconds, you could feel it really start to pull. At that point it had a lot of power and as long as you stayed in reverse you had all the power needed. Never a problem going into forward.
Thanks for all the help.
FWD

John C.

Occupation
What it sounds like now is the seals in the clutch pack might be broken. You will have to put a gauge in somewhere and read the pressure for the reverse gear pack.

These transmissions used cast iron hook rings to seal the packs and those darn little tiny hooks on the ends of the rings would snap off and allow some leakage. When you changed the oil it is probably a little thicker and the seal doesn't leak off as much.

Good Luck!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
A quick and dirty way of checking for an internal oil leak would be to drop the oil and put some much heavier viscosity oil in the transmission. If the transm,ission goes back to working "normally" with the heavier oil you can bet your bottom dollar that you have the start of a leak somewhere in a clutch that the heavier oil is compensating for - for now at least.

FWD

That's kind of my thoughts too. It doesn't seem to have a suction leak and even if it did, you would think that it would cause problems in forward as well as reverse. I've got it back in the shop now kind of stowed away for a while so it may be some time before I work on it again.
What do you mean by heavier oil, #30?
Thanks!
FWD

i

John C.

Occupation
The heavier oil sounds like a good idea but those units only work on tractor hydraulic oil or Hytrans. 30 weight oil will burn things up pretty quick. Maybe they make a heavier weight Hytrans?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That's kind of my thoughts too. It doesn't seem to have a suction leak and even if it did, you would think that it would cause problems in forward as well as reverse. I've got it back in the shop now kind of stowed away for a while so it may be some time before I work on it again.
What do you mean by heavier oil, #30?
Thanks!
FWD
"heavier" oil would be anything heavier than it's using now. Not knowing what you have right now makes it hard to say whether SAE30 would be the correct choice or not. Remember I said it's for a test. If your symptoms disappear using heavier weight oil then you have an internal leak. Also the transmission should perform better when it's cold than after it has warmed up. The only purpose of this test is to find out if the transmission needs to come out or not, not as a way to keep the machine running for longer. On another thread a couple of days ago we were discussing the fact that Hytrans really is not the correct oil for this type of transmission despite what the equipment manufacturers would have you believe.

dony

I started a separate post about my dresser 530, mine will always back up but a few years ago 95-99% of the time it will not go forward in any of the 3 forward gears, once in awhile it will work then if you stop and move the lever to back up it will stop going forward, closest dealer is 200 miles away, I have been told that the forward clutch pack is going out ? we have changed the oil, cleaned screens etc.