• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

International 125e transmission

Fort125E

Hello everybody, and thanks for
reading my post!

I bought a 125e crawler loader last year for a decent price of 8k and it looks great , worked perfect, but the previous owner said that sometimes it slows in drive gear so when that happens to clean the filter (metal screen type) thats right below the operator seat. This happenned twice, which lead me to replace all the hydraulic hoses as soon as i realized the filter was filling with old hose material. No easy task! Then when i was cutting in a road on my farm it slowly petered down slower and slower with no noise at all to a stop....Puzzled i let it sit, came back an hour later and just made it to the house and thats where it sits.,,,, One of the mechanics i talked to that used to work on these in the 70's said it has a dry clutch and the pawls on the spline shafts tend to seize up, can anybody help me out ? Tried just about everything here and man i could use a tip !!

Fort125E

Also if anybody can tell me, is the dipstick that is under the operator seat on the right side the torque converter dipstick? this 125 e confuses me.... its a power shift, has a torque converter , and it has a clutch... just hard to diagnose this early in the game...to me the rockford torque converter appears coupled right to the back of the motor which is actually infront of and below the guages...not under your butt so cant figure out the under seat dipstick....(no dipstick jokes please!) second ive heard if the main shaft off the converter spins freely by hand its the clutch..... bloody hell

boone

Welcome to the forums Fort125E. Can't really help that much with your first question. Someone will be along that probably can. You could also try posting your question or searching over at RedPower. Lot's of IH experts there.

The dipstick below the operator seat is going to be for your transmission and rear case. You've got a torque converter attached to the engine, a universal joint connecting the TC to your 3 speed PS transmission. From some past reading those machine had two different trans versions. The early one had a big trans with a short drive coupling. The later ones had a smaller trans that was easier to service. It had a longer drive shaft. Sounds like you may have the later one if you're screen is serviceable without draining. I would recommend a service manual from binderbooks or jensales. It will be invaluable if you start tinkering with this stuff yourself.

Fort125E

Thanks for the information...invaluable ! I did try over at RedPower but the link for signup was dead both times but I will try again. Really appreciate the info. Ive sent for the service manuals , cant wait till they arrive. I have read another poster here that has this model and he stated he has 2 dipsticks, the under seat and front right under floor... the latter i dont have....obviously its one or the other depending on the trans size variables you mentioned. Well thanks Boone much appreciated. Today I hired a local Hiab truck to come and move it from my yard to a better wrenching spot. It was pretty cool seeing a Hiab hoist a Track loader ! I will try to post the short video and a few pictures , I tll be looking better and be a solid runner soon !

boone

Thanks for the pictures. That's a nice looking machine with 4-n-1. That Hiab is impressive! I'd like to have seen it hoist that 125 around. If it's rated for 40K lbs, it would lift a 175! Let us know how you make out on the drive issue. Once you get your manuals you'll know what your pressures should be. If you have old broken hoses particles in the machine, it's probably blocking some line or valve. Tough part will be finding it. And yes, we always enjoy videos and more pictures.

Rhino1961

Have you made any progress with you transmission issues? I owned in 91 a 125c and currently have a TD-8e I have owned since late 91 also which is the same as your machine except a dozer version. I have pulled and rebuilt the trans about 15 years ago. Parts were plentiful then compared to now. The dipstick under the seat is for the rear frame which house the brake and steering clutches. The dipstick under the floor cover is your torque converter and trans. Everything on this machine is wet there are no dry clutches. If it is hand steering the pedals are as follows. the right is your brake and parking brake engagement the left is a decelerator for the engine. I have always decelerated when changing directions from fwd and reverse. Not required when simply going in same direction and just changing range. I have most of the books for these machines. I may be of help on that if need be.

chain gang

Occupation
Construction Engineer
Rhino,
I have a short shaft 125C powershift. When I bought it, it had a broken spring in the range selector. I replaced it and have run it for a few years with no issues. I too decelerate when I change direction, however Recently, when I change direction it seems to get caught in neutral (even though the selector is in gear) until I decelerate it again for a few seconds then it will bump and I can let it go. The pressures and temps haven't changed. Any clues ? Think the range selector has another broken spring ? Or that maybe the pressure regulator plunger is sticking ?