• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Interesting Demolition Jobs

Wolf

'tis the season. . .

anybody got any coll demolition jobs going on?

any unique or unusual challenges or equipment in play?

any unusual or interesting old/weird buildings or structures?

interested in hearing your stories (and pictures, if you got 'em)

thanks.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
'tis the season. . .

anybody got any coll demolition jobs going on?

any unique or unusual challenges or equipment in play?

any unusual or interesting old/weird buildings or structures?

interested in hearing your stories (and pictures, if you got 'em)

thanks.

we looked at a couple demo jobs. one was a 15,000 sq ft church that was built in 1897, now that the new church had been built they wanted to removed the old ( in rough chape) church as they used up alot of the parking lot when they built the new. Unfortunatly we did not win the bid on that one.

next one we looked at was demoing a 3500 sq ft house to the slab so they could build a bigger house back... owner still wants to do it.. just don't know when:cool:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Sorry Wolf, not very cool or out of the ordinary, but we have a burned house demo to do tomorrow. About 1000SF with a crawspace, should take about 2 days to complete and clean up. Not very exciting but it pays the bills.:drinkup I'll try to take some pics.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Sorry Wolf, not very cool or out of the ordinary, but we have a burned house demo to do tomorrow. About 1000SF with a crawspace, should take about 2 days to complete and clean up. Not very exciting but it pays the bills.:drinkup I'll try to take some pics.

Is it just me or do you like to plunder through the stuff as your taking it down. You'd be amazed at all the things you can find!
Remember save all the copper pipe, it's around $3.40+ a pound here:drinkup

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Is it just me or do you like to plunder through the stuff as your taking it down. You'd be amazed at all the things you can find!
Remember save all the copper pipe, it's around $3.40+ a pound here

Absolutely! I demo'd an old trailer a couple of weeks ago and just started to throw the scrap metal to the side. The second to the last 30 CY going out I loaded it up. We ended up with a full 30 worth of metal siding, the thin trailer frame, tin, old BBQ grills, chicken wire, a couple of old water heaters and .... well basically rusted junk. Went to the scrap yard and the can weighed in at 5820lbs which @ $.10 per LB was $582. Not a windfall by no means but there wasn't a landfill bill and the trucking time was the same.

Still got the copper water pipe in the back of my truck.:cool::D

Wolf

CM1995 and Dirtman:

I think it's cool that you guys are saving all the scrap and making good $$$ off it. The tree huggers would approve of your recycling efforts. LOL. Hopefully, the strong market will keep up to make it worth your while.

Too bad you didn't get to wreck that 1897 church, Dirtman. That would have been fun, and I bet there was some cool stuff in that to salvage. Scrap value plus some stuff with antique value too, I'll bet. Is the old church down already?

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
CM1995 and Dirtman:

I think it's cool that you guys are saving all the scrap and making good $$$ off it. The tree huggers would approve of your recycling efforts. LOL. Hopefully, the strong market will keep up to make it worth your while.

Too bad you didn't get to wreck that 1897 church, Dirtman. That would have been fun, and I bet there was some cool stuff in that to salvage. Scrap value plus some stuff with antique value too, I'll bet. Is the old church down already?

No it's still standing and I'm glad that we did not get it, you know churches want the most for the least amount of money. it was planned for June 1... which has come and gone. They are having problems with removing the asbestos and there's probably lead paint on the old wooden siding that is covered up it with newer siding. Anyways we have plenty of other things to do... I have trees to knock down so i'm happy:D

I'll try to get some pictures when they ever get around to demo:pointhead

Demoguy324

Occupation
Operating engineer, Local 701, Specializing in scr
"tis the season"? hah! that's the greatest part of the industry, the season never ends!

Here's our latest project:

5-16-0824.jpg

3-25-0812.jpg

3-31-083.jpg

5-7-086.jpg

5-9-08.jpg

Inside the dome
4-29-08b45.jpg

4-29-08b26.jpg

...and NOW, it's a demo job...
4-15-08a1.jpg

Eric

Wolf

Eric:

that dome is huge, even next to a huge excavator! what on earth is it? an observatory? a reactor? weird looking structure, but great looking demo machines.

how do you go about attacking something like that with the hoes? what's the strategy?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I like that demo bucket on that TL! Is it a Cat bucket or aftermarket?

Demoguy324

Occupation
Operating engineer, Local 701, Specializing in scr
Wolf,

this project is a Nuclear Reactor containment building, 208' tall, 140' across with 3' thick concrete all around.

I cannot give out any details on the take-down method, as it's the first structure of it's kind that's been taken down, the process is secret.

the demolition bucket on the loader has long since lost it's nameplate, but I believe it was made by Peterson

Eric

ConstructorJohn

Looking for heavy equipment movies

Wow! That's a huge building. Would love to work on a project like that. Anyhhow, I'm looking around for some heavy equipment movies on the internet. Found a demolition movie in Italy: www.myhitachiexperience.com :cool: Some operator talks about his experience with a zx240-3. I also saw some nice pics of large excavators.

Anybody has other sites for me with movies of heavy equipment?

John

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Welcome to the Forums ConstructorJohn!:drinkup

Occupation
Student
Wow! That's a huge building. Would love to work on a project like that. Anyhhow, I'm looking around for some heavy equipment movies on the internet. Found a demolition movie in Italy: www.myhitachiexperience.com :cool: Some operator talks about his experience with a zx240-3. I also saw some nice pics of large excavators.

Anybody has other sites for me with movies of heavy equipment?

John

Welcome Here ConstructorJohn,i have a site with equipment videos on it that you can download.I will refind it and post it here.

Wolf

videos

just go to you tube and search on demolition or search on a particular piece of equipment that you are interested in. there is a lot of cool stuff out there.

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Self employed in the excavating buis and have been

So how many dumpsters did it take and how much tonage ? What did you charge for the job ..May I ask ??

LOW BIDDER

Occupation
Owner
Maybe this job fits the unusual catagory, demolition of bricks at launch complex 39A @ Cape Canaveral NASA. We had to design a bucket with a flat grade blade that could scrape bricks off the wall of the blast trench of the launch pad that the shuttle launches from. 6000 Bricks were blown off the wall last launch at 600 feet per second. Our job was to scrape the remaining bricks that were weak so a new application could be used.

:usa

Attachments

• DSC_0118.jpg
    DSC_0118.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,546
  • DSC_0114.jpg
    DSC_0114.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,546
  • DSC_0100.jpg
    DSC_0100.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,546

bigblueox

that is wild! what are those blue containers used for (pictured in the last pick) they look like drill rig mud containers but they surley can't be? please tell.~zach~

Turbo21835

that is wild! what are those blue containers used for (pictured in the last pick) they look like drill rig mud containers but they surley can't be? please tell.~zach~

In industrial demo we use them. The environmental clean up guys go thru the plant with a vacuum truck, and then pump into one of those tanks. Different chemicals sort themselves into different layers in the tank. Based off of whats heavier, ie, heavy metals would be on the bottom, water based would be in the middle, and oil based would be on top. Then you suck out the chemicals after they have sorted themselves out.

LOW BIDDER

Occupation
Owner
zach

the blue trailers are tankers for the water we used while we scrapped the bricks off. The bricks had a rope material in the control joints that had 70% asbestos which we had to remove first. This required wet demo method, as you can see in the photos there is guy with a hose on a lift. The water was gathered by a pump and filtered then pumped in those tankers.