• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

intake air filter for air compressor...

DIYDAVE

So, I bought a little pancake air compressor at auction, a coupla months ago. Was moving crap around in the barn, and hooked it up to see if it was running or for parts. Ran fine, drain plug loosens and tightens like it should, too. I did notice, however it was missing the intake filter (usually a sponge, in a plastic cup). Cup was missing, flat part was there, so I noodled a little bit, to see what I could come up with. I know I could probably get it offa amazon, but as I prefer American ingenuity to Chinese plastic, here's what I came up with: As the hole in the block was 1/4" NPT, I started with a 1/4 close nipple, into a 1/2"NPT bushing, followed by a Fram oil filter,PH6607. I have no idea what the filter fits, or the specs, chose it because I have 3 of 'em, and the bushing almost screwed into it. With the help of a pipe tap, and a coupla turns with same, it did. Then I took the filter and cut the sheetmetal with a filter cutter, for 2 reasons, 1 to shake any tap dust out, and 2 since I don't know if it has a check valve that would interfere with suckin air, which is what I want it to do. After that, I took the bottom end and drilled 5 or 6 holes in the bottom. Duct taped it back together, and installed on the compressor, works like a champ, and I don't have to wait for the supply chain to catch up, or fedex to deliver to somewhere I can't find it...;)

I guess I posted this, mainly cause I get so tired of hearing the big box stores telling me that I need to order offa the innernut, cause they don't stock parts though they sell similar air compressors...:mad: