• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Insuring Semi Tractor for Personal Use

terex herder

I had to make a move in the early '90's. Way to much stuff, wife wouldn't part with anything, 1,000 miles, across 5 states. I bought a 22' box truck, made 4 trips. The cheapest place to insure it was the state Farm Bureau. Farm insurance was about 1/5 the price of any place that offered commercial insurance.

There are no scales across US 36, and its shorter anyway. KC KS or KC MO?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Conex’s 20’s, 40’s, highcubes, junk or one-trippers have been unobtainable in clown world. I gave up trying to locate one. Has the market recently changed?

crane operator

Conex’s 20’s, 40’s, highcubes, junk or one-trippers have been unobtainable in clown world. I gave up trying to locate one. Has the market recently changed?

Just came past a lot last weekend with a bunch of them, how many do you want?

My understanding was that rolling chassis are in short supply, more than the conex's themselves.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Yard in KC is supposed to have Mountains of them, but have also adjusted their pricing for elsewhere scarcity.

Truck Shop

Containers in short supply is normally a coastal port issue. Midwest/interior have more of a
tendency to set.

Zewnten

I had to make a move in the early '90's. Way to much stuff, wife wouldn't part with anything, 1,000 miles, across 5 states. I bought a 22' box truck, made 4 trips. The cheapest place to insure it was the state Farm Bureau. Farm insurance was about 1/5 the price of any place that offered commercial insurance.

There are no scales across US 36, and its shorter anyway. KC KS or KC MO?

KC Kansas.

I like the conex idea, would prefer it really. But who can pick up a loaded conex? What type of truck do I ask for?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Crane or wrecker. There are some trailers that can winch them right on, and have chain drives to shove them off. That's how they usually deliver empty ones. Once they are loaded, then its wrecker or crane time.

View attachment 278102

Are quite a few levels of these including Landoll and Trail King models where the rolling gear moves forward and the trailer drops to a shallow angle. Not cheap yet are companies specializing in use of Rollback Trailers.

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Hope you had better luck luck insuring your truck for personal use than I did in Ontario Canada. These insurance companies are idiotic.
Back story: I bought an F550 with a flatbed. Why? Because it was cheaper than all the pickup trucks I could find, it had a Boss vee plow and a V-Mac underhood air compressor and it looked good with the polished aluminum rims, etc.
I go to insure it for personal use (I had got a "maybe not so accurate" scale ticket showing it was under 4500KG meaning it did not require an annual safety here.)
Insurance company calls me back...."we ran VIN number and it shows commercial vehicle because it came from factory with no body"
I argued it was a flat bed and I am only using it to pull my travel trailer twice a year.
Called every insurance broker in town, same response.

So then I finally blew up and said "you insure my dump truck and highway tractor.....just give me commercial insurance then and I'll pay the higher rate on it.

Their next response "sorry, we can't insure it as commercial"

I asked why not??? "because you are using it for personal use"

I sh!t you not!!! Anyway after calling and fighting every insurance company in Ontario I finally found one that insured it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Double speak of the Insurance void. They play kick the can as know nothing better.

I own a KW W900 personally, the Missouri Farm Bureau just noted as a truck and moved on.
Is cheaper to insure than my F250 that is six years older.

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Double speak of the Insurance void. They play kick the can as know nothing better.

I own a KW W900 personally, the Missouri Farm Bureau just noted as a truck and moved on.
Is cheaper to insure than my F250 that is six years older.
Yes, so many differences from region to region also. One of the biggest problems I see now is none of the brokers use common sense or LOOK at the situation any more. All they want to do is plug the VIN number into their computer system then it tells them what it is and what they can do.
Like last summer when I went to put OFF ROAD insurance on my new dirt bike. They take the VIN number and tell me "it's a motorcycle"
Well yes.
"does it go on water?"
Not unless I've had a horrible accident
"okay, but you need to have a motorcycle license because it says it's a motorcycle"

After many, many of these transactions I finally tell them....look at the bill of sale!! It says RR RACE EDITION Does that sound street legal to you??!!

Never mind the damn VIN number. Look at the vehicle you are insuring!!!