• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Insurance for privately owned semi

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Have a '86 International S1954 semi and got letter in the mail from "State Farm" they are dropping my insurance due to too large of vehicle they want to insure it commercially. Geico won't do it and not a fan of large insurance companies. Got till March to find someone, looking in the Montana area around Miles City.

crane operator

Are you using it as a tractor trailer? I thought you might have been using it to pull a camper, but I don't remember. Anyways, if you are using it only recreationally, you may look into title/ regestration etc. as a RV instead of as a semi. Like the RV guys use for pulling a camper.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Progressive would be my suggestion as well. They’re not terrible to deal with.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
A number of years ago we used Farm Bureau on trucks that ran locally and got along good with them. We had to switch to another company when we needed to bump our radius up.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Can't use Progressive they are suing me for 50k for a auto accident 5 years ago which I call B.S. on who's fault it was.
Doing 40 mph in 55 on icy roads on Oregon interstate on corner that bends to the left and felt the (F450) truck break traction tried to straighten it out couldn't for some odd reason and found out after I did complete 180 degree with bumper trailer. Between my truck/trailer and concrete barricade was mangled Subaru that came from who knows where and I believe they hit my truck as it isn't first time my truck has been hit and didn't feel it. They totaled the car out my insurance dropped me blah blah blah and next day one the passengers claimed their neck hurts. Due to being dropped by insurance company I now owe them 50k been in and out of court systems since then over whole ordeal. I still was able to drive the truck to Texas after the accident with the trailer.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Are you using it as a tractor trailer? I thought you might have been using it to pull a camper, but I don't remember. Anyways, if you are using it only recreationally, you may look into title/ regestration etc. as a RV instead of as a semi. Like the RV guys use for pulling a camper.
No no tractor trailers going behind it, I'm using it to pull a cabover camper at same time using it occasionally to pull a trailer like you would use to move tractor around or get building supplies. Think of it as using it as pickup truck just larger scale. Has no air brakes all hydraulic.